Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955-S Lincoln Cent - Should this be a CONECA RPM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955-S Lincoln Cent - Should this be a CONECA RPM?

I bought a handful of BU rolls from an ex-dealer at the Virginia Beach Coin show last weekend.
    Sunday was extremely slow, so I decided to go through the 1954-D and the 1955-S rolls.

What do you think? It looks like at least a double split serif on the top and possibly a hint at a lower split serif.
    James W usually does not count split serifs as a measure for a CONECA RPM, but this one just looks....weird.

Edit: Looks like CopperCoins may have this one listed as 1955S-1MM-007, The top portion of the secondary mintmark can be seen near the top serif.

Here are three examples of the 1955-S I found.

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg
    Last edited by MintErrors; 10-08-2018, 11:20 PM.
    Gary Kozera

As an added bonus, I decided for the heck of it to magnify this RPM as best I could so you could see some finer details.

These photos are shot with a Canon T3i rebel camera, with a microscope lens inserted into the barrel of an eye piece.

I'll see if I can show you the basic setup.

Canon T3i with microscope lens and shim inserted into a microscope eye piece hole (microscope eye piece was removed) . The microscope I am using is a $220.00-ish
    version of an AMSCOPE (American Scope) .

20181009_001753.jpg

Additional screw on lens at bottom to get incredibly close up. Most of the time (99%) the bottom lens 2x lens is not used.

20181009_001732.jpg

A shot of the Camera, the Microscope Lens and the shim/sleeve to stable the camera in the eye piece hole of the microscope.

20181009_001859.jpg

The complete setup. Notice that I use a small remote to keep the camera from moving during the photo.

20181009_002000.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MintErrors; 10-09-2018, 01:07 AM.
    Gary Kozera

Comment

Sure looks like the Coppercoin 1955S 1MM 007. I still have the original coin shown on CC
      Jack Sellards

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Working...
        X