Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turned mint mark on 1977 D penny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned mint mark on 1977 D penny

I don't know what the actual error name is for this, but I found it in some change and thought it was interesting. The mint mark seems to be turned clockwise. Does anyone know if this is a common occurance or not? Sorry about the picture, it's a tad blurry.

Up until 1990, all mint marks were hand punched into working dies. After 1989 the mint mark was applied directly to the master die.

Now the reason for the slightly tilted mint mark was that it was punched in that way. From the beginning, when mint marks were applied to the working ides, you will find a whole array of oddly placed, tilted, doubled, tripled and even at times quadrupled punched mint marks. I forgot to mention inverted also.

While oddly placed or tilted mint marks are kind of fun to look at, they command little to no premium,UNLESS they happened to be in another design element.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Originally posted by wavysteps View Post
      Up until 1990, all mint marks were hand punched into working dies. After 1989 the mint mark was applied directly to the master die.

Now the reason for the slightly tilted mint mark was that it was punched in that way. From the beginning, when mint marks were applied to the working ides, you will find a whole array of oddly placed, tilted, doubled, tripled and even at times quadrupled punched mint marks. I forgot to mention inverted also.

While oddly placed or tilted mint marks are kind of fun to look at, they command little to no premium,UNLESS they happened to be in another design element.

BJ Neff
      Thanks again BJ, I wish I had your plethora of knowledge.

Comment

Working...
      X