Thread: Unusual toned spot on gold bullion coin

Default Unusual toned spot on gold bullion coin

Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

2. Default

Possibly another metal. Copper/Silver maybe. Could be that a minute amount of copper alloy near or on the surface of the coin has caused the discoloration.

Has the look of a small line down the middle though as if something had been lying on it then fell off. ??????????

I've seen this look on copper coins when a speck of something attaches and a toning begins to spread from that point.

Unfortunately about the only thing I know about gold coins is that I can't afford them

Maybe someone that knows will jump in here. See if I'm close about the copper alloy thing
    Steven

There was a problem with reddish discoloration due to oil on the planchets. I don't know if this spot of discoloration owes its existance to the same cause.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

4. Default

BJ,
    Another possibility in the line of oil, as Mike stated, maybe a thread from a cloth contaminated with oil got onto the coin long enough to cause the discoloration and the pattern that it left.

Just a thought.
    Steven

Hi All - Got to thank you all for your replies. It was a question that came up at the CFCC coin show and I direct the dealer to look at this forum for possible answers and of course you all did provide some good ones.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.