Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FIRST DAY AT THE FUN SHOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIRST DAY AT THE FUN SHOW

Thought that you all would appreciate this "outside the mint" error coin.

Don't know what the person who made this coin was thinking, but the extra date and mint mark are incused. The extra LIBERTYS are raised and of course, the reverse was flawless. An obvious "soft die" fake.

Other than that, an interesting, busy day with the highlight being able to attribute a 1942-D Mercury dime with underlying 1941 date.

One last picture; CONECA's booth with my very capable assistant.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Unfortunately, the coin you declared a fake is absolutely genuine. It was struck through a slightly rotated, late-stage die cap. The normally-oriented, incuse design elements are characteristic of such errors. I hope you can run down the fellow you talked to so that you can correct your mistake.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Originally posted by wavysteps View Post

One last picture; CONECA's booth with my very capable assistant.

BJ Neff
      BJ, is that you and Jeanie? Enjoy the show.

Comment

Mike - I would agree with you, however, if you look at LIBERTY you will see a progression of 5 to 6 seperate strikes and all are raised. Even IGWT shows this raised doubling. While a late stage die cap (or any die cap) will incuse a design element, I would think that a late stage cap would not have the definition shown in the incused date. Also, I am not to sure how you can get an incused date under a raised date. I based my opinion on the multiple strikes on the obverse, the inconsistancies displayed, coupled with only one strike on the reverse.

BJ

Car-10, yes, that is Jeanie. I am taking the picture.
        Last edited by wavysteps; 01-11-2008, 07:29 AM.

Comment

I can't be sure about the LIBERTY's being raised. Others have mistaken incuse doubling for raised doubling. Even if your assessment is accurate, raised, accessory design elements can sometimes be found in capped die strikes, often existing alongside incuse accessory design elements. I still don't have a good explanation for the phenomenon. I will admit that I've only seen single sets of extra raised elements. If the LIBERTY's are actually incuse, then multiple sets are well-documented. I have two cents with 4-5 sets of incuse LIBERTY and another cent with around nine sets of incuse reverse elements on the reverse face. You'll note that on this coin there is an extra incuse date and mintmark next to their normal counterparts.

While the coin may be a little weird-looking, I am 100% certain that it is genuine.

Comment

BJ was haveing too much FUN as he talked with Steve and Mike from New Jersey and Bob from Eustis Florida. I was lucky in the raffel to draw a nice "Finned" 1984 Quarter that had been donated by Mike Diamond. " Picture was to big to upload"

Comment

BJ is haning too much Fun at the FUN Show
              Attached Files

Comment

If two incused design element, in this case the date and the mint mark, can exist along side multiple raised design elements (an extra nose, the back side of Lincoln's shoulder [seen through the strongest TY of LIBERTY], parts of TRUST, multiple raised LIBERTY's and parts of the date [81], then I'll agree that my attribution was faulty.

I know that weird stuff does happen with die caps, however, it is hard for me to understand how an incused date could be under a raised date (which I believe to be part of the false die). Very little made any sense when I viewed this coin under a scope and with the mulitple strikes, I could not think of any way that the reverse would not have an inkling of what was happening on the obverse.

BJ Neff

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that what you're interpreting as raised accessory design elements are the raised borders of fundamentally incuse design elements. I do see this on some shifted cap strikes. Early on, on one or two occasions, I mistook incuse design elements for raised elements because I was confused by the raised borders. The date and mintmark are generally unaffected when there's overlap with incuse design elements caused by a shifted cap.

Still, capped die strikes present all sorts of wierd effects, and I wouldn't be surprised if this coin has features I've not encountered before. Inexplicable raised doubling sometimes occurs, and this may be a remarkable example of such.

The reverse is never affected because there is only one strike, even when you have multiple sets of incuse design elements. The multiple sets reflect numerous shift-and-strike events preceding the final strike that creates the coin you're looking at.

Comment

It was a pleasure to meet people I can now put a face to. (My first time at FUN).

I enjoyed hanging out at the CONECA table with BJ and Jeanie for most of Saturday afternoon. Examining other peoples finds was interesting and rewarding.

The candy bowl at the end of the table serviced alot of folks!

Jeff

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Last edited by wavysteps; 01-13-2008, 08:01 PM.
                    CONECA Errorsope Editor

Comment

The FUN show for CONECA was a great success. Not only did we help a bunch of people with their errors and varieties, we also signed up 7 new members. On top of that, we met some great new people, like Jeff Ylitalo, Gabe Alonso (discoverer of the 2004 Peace Nickel doubled die) and Rich Schemmer (CONECA board member).

To all of you who did stop by and said hello, Jeanie and I thank you. Hope to see you at the summer FUN show.

BJ Neff

Comment

BJ. I wanted to offer my thanks for manning the table. Looks like you did a great service for the club and had FUN doing it. I like that table set up with the big banner and extra space. I may just have to plan on making FUN next year.
                        CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

James - More than one person asked if you would be in attendance at that Fun show, so it would be great if you could come down for the 2009 Jan. show. Thank you for your kind words.

BJ

Comment

Working...
                          X