Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPM??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM??

Alrighty guys---here is one I've had trouble with for over a year.
    I was looking through an online auction one day and I saw a weird mintmark on a coin, but I thought it was just damage so I went on.....then I saw another one so I asked a friend and he said that he was pretty sure it was an RPM. So I started my reasearch and I found this on many coins...of the same date/mint.

I bought a few coins with this odd mintmark and have viewed them in hand...looks just like the pic's.

The problem is...experts who I show it to go both ways--some say RPM, and some say that I'm just a kid who shouldn't be playing around coins.

I've been meaning to send the coins I have to James for him to check out but I've been really busy working on my website, and other things.

So here are some pic's....let me know what you think.

Speedy
    Attached Files
    ---Speedy

It looks like a keyhole design behind the S-mintmark. I have no idea what it could be.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Howdy Mike,
      Right....in person it takes on the look of mybe a larger S mintmark. It isn't flat like machine doubling, and it doesn't look like any other type of damage that I've seen. It does look like an RPM, but a LARGE RPM. That is what makes it weird.
      I can't wait to hear the different comments!
      ---Speedy

Comment

Does anybody know what a mint mark punch from that era looked like ? Is it possible that the mint mark was sunk so deep that tool marks were left from the part of the punch that is not part of the actual mint mark? It certainly does not appear to be a regular "S" under that normal "S".

Comment

Okay - tried a couple of enhancment tricks on your photo to see if anything else could be brought out.

While it does appear to be some sort of doubling, I am not to sure what it is. This would probably be best anaalyzed by Dr. James Wiles.

Thanks for sharing this more than unusual mint mark wuith us.

BJ Neff
          Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thanks Guys.....
            Maybe if I can get some time this week to write James I'll see how busy he is and if he is interested in checking it out.
            ---Speedy

Comment

Speedy...send me one of these quarters and I will take some high powered photos and send them to you.

Larry Nienaber

Comment

Larry,
                I'll try to send you a PM here in a bit---thanks for offering!

Speedy
                ---Speedy

Comment

I sent Larry the coin and here are some pic's. Does anyone have any more ideas?

James: If you see this, what are your thoughts?

One side note---I think this coin shows the "rpm" the best on the East Side. I've seen many different coins with this same look and while some might show up alittle better on the west side I believe that the mintmark was punched again eastward....
                  I'm still learning about this type of stuff and I could be totally off base. Different guys have looked at this coin, and some have said machine doubling and others have said RPM. Others have said that they don't know what it is. It is interesting to say the least!
                  Attached Files
                  ---Speedy

Comment

There does not appear to be any splits in the serifs. Thus it is MDD.
                    CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

James:
                      I've thought about that....but this looks to be a rather close RPM and it doesn't seem to have been punched very far away from the first one.
                      It seems that if the serifs were so close the split might not show? The "doubling" is flat and lifeless like the machine doubling I run into...

Either way---I think it is an interesting coin!
                      ---Speedy

Comment

It is the magnified photo that confirms the attribution as MDD. Notice how the doubling rounds the top of the upper serif then continues down to the bottom edge of the upper serif where it ends, dies, quits. First, this makes the secondary image too large to be another punch of the mintmark. Second, if it were an RPM, then that end is where you would see the split serif, not just and ending.
                        CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

Is it possible, on the first coin that the mintmark was first punched in uppside down?

On a quick glance, the lower left of the "extra mintmark" might appear to be the same as the upper right of the primary mintmark, turned upside down.

Just a thought,
                          Bill

Comment

James,
                            I'll take your word for it ...It just doesn't look like machine doubling...
                            Not all is lost---I belive that this coin match up to the DDR-001 for the 1932-S quarter.

Thanks again for your help.
                            ---Speedy

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy View Post
                              I sent Larry the coin and here are some pic's. Does anyone have any more ideas?
                              Why is this photo so different from the first photo? Where did the keyhole-shaped feature go?
                              Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Working...
                              X