Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What description, and Planchet error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What description, and Planchet error?

Hello folks, I have a few questions.

First I found a 1958D penny that has truncated designes and lettering on the rim.
    These devices look to be about the right size as if a penny planchet was use to test the distance of the dies for a quarter, with the test-piece being re-struck as a penny. What would I call this? I still haven't matched the exact designs to any other coin yet. I also bought an indian-head penny that bears the same kind of evidence.

Secondly, I have an 1877 indian-head penny, that has distinctly differing thickness to the rims from one side to the other. If a non uniform thickness to the planchet is struck, I'd imagine that the design would be weak where the planchet is thinnest. Is a non uniform planchet considered an error/variety? Would this non-uniform strike lessen the grade? (I've seen some dimes that were struck from rusty dies that graded in ms even though they looked G at best.)

Thanks for your help, and if I can find any more of those "rim-struck" coins I'll try to pick them up.

Russell Wilcoxon

Hi Russell - I am not to sure if this is the same type anomaly that you described, however, it might be.

This was found on a 2003 Lincoln cent and shows part of "UNITED SATES of AMERICA" on the rim, offset about 20 degrees to the left.

As far as the 1877 IHP, I am not to sure if a varied thickness planchet would add value, especially to this key coin. Whether it affects the grade or is a error, I'll let others more knowledgeable in this field jump in.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Your 1958-D cent was probably lodged in an aluminum ring that bore some sort of advertising slogan. Occasionally, design elements meant for the ring slop over onto the rim of the cent. Such "encased cents" can be found through most of the 20th century. Your Indian cent probably owes its odd features to the same technology.

The 1877 cent may show the effect of a tilted die (vertical misalignment). This concentrates force at one pole, forcing coin metal to squeeze into the gap between die neck and collar (a "finned dim"). This makes the edge on that side appear thicker. Since this is a rare and heavily counterfeited date, you may have a counterfeit.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Further descrption

Thanks for your replies, and so fast.

I can see that I need to press my photography skills to elucidate more exactly what I've found. The lettering on Waveylines coin is much like what I have, except the design marks don't appear to relate to any design on the penny itself. The designs are on each side obv/rev and are similar to each other. (The 1958D that is) Your photos did help me to re-examine for related markings between the coin itself and the markings on the rims.

The 1901 indian may have a relation I'll have to look closer. this coin has markings on the obv. side all around the rim with flat spots over the denticle, while the denticles on the rev are universally flat. Any of the flat spots have a mottled texture. I've seen this mottled texture on the back of a military medal. (Are those made through the mint?)

I'll try and get the photos up soon.

Comment

Working...
        X