Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 W Unc Burnished Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 W Unc Burnished Eagle

I purchase from the U.S. Mint 3 2008 W Burnished Eagle, 2 or normal but 1 has the appearance of the 2006 P reverse proof on the reverse.

It seems the MINT maybe using two different reverses on the Silver Eagles this year. I read recently that one had been found with a 2007 reverse ( I am not to sure if there was any difference between the 2007 and the 2006 reverses) and slabbed by NGC.

Exactly what the count or the value of these "transitional" pieces (if you will call them that) will be is anyones guess at the moment; we will have to wait until the dust settles to see what is up.

For now, I would hold on to the coin until further information emerges.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Originally posted by wavysteps View Post
      It seems the MINT maybe using two different reverses on the Silver Eagles this year. I read recently that one had been found with a 2007 reverse ( I am not to sure if there was any difference between the 2007 and the 2006 reverses) and slabbed by NGC.

Exactly what the count or the value of these "transitional" pieces (if you will call them that) will be is anyones guess at the moment; we will have to wait until the dust settles to see what is up.

For now, I would hold on to the coin until further information emerges.

BJ Neff
      I'm sorry to change the subject but can you help me? I'm wondering where/who I can go to to find out about a 1982 US quarter I own that doesn't seem to have any knerling on the outside edge.

Comment

The "knurled edge" is properly referred to as a reeded edge. If your quarter has a diameter equal to or less than that of a normal quarter, then it's been tampered with. If its diameter is greater than normal, then it is a broadstrike -- a coin struck outside the collar.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond View Post
          The "knurled edge" is properly referred to as a reeded edge. If your quarter has a diameter equal to or less than that of a normal quarter, then it's been tampered with. If its diameter is greater than normal, then it is a broadstrike -- a coin struck outside the collar.
          This quarter is exactly the same size as a normal quarter so it must have been tampered with. How is this done?

Comment

Removal of the reeding occurs in various ways. Sometimes it's just circulation damage. Quarters used in arcades and slot machines often lose their reeding. At other times the reeding is intentionally squeezed or battered into oblivion. Sometimes a dremel tool is used to remove it.
            Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

2008 W Unc

I have a 2006 W and 2007 W and their the same. The 2008 W with 2007 W rev. are going for $200 +all the to $400, on E-Bay.

Comment

I call those "premature" auctions and an un-necessary gamble. When the amount of the anomaly is not known, in this case "how many 2008 silver eagles were struck with reverse 2007 dies", the price can fluctuate day to day. Normally, it starts high and ends up much lower. This was seen with the "no lettering on the edge" Washington dollar coin.

Then again, the gamble can pay off if few of these transitional pieces were / are struck.

BJ Neff
                Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond View Post
                  Removal of the reeding occurs in various ways. Sometimes it's just circulation damage. Quarters used in arcades and slot machines often lose their reeding. At other times the reeding is intentionally squeezed or battered into oblivion. Sometimes a dremel tool is used to remove it.
                  Thank you for this info and your time.

Comment

I believe I have one that may be the 2008 W that is odd. The rev. on this coin the eagle is shiny but it should not be that way. Malcolm

Comment

Working...
                    X