Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VERY IMPORTANT!!! Could be the "PINNACLE" of 1c MINT VARIETIES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY IMPORTANT!!! Could be the "PINNACLE" of 1c MINT VARIETIES

...I'm having problem with my camera microscope and can't get the
    appropriate resolution to show this MINT VARIETY and be able to send
    together with this opening thread (but will send asap)!

IF (note this is ONLY IF).... WHAT I SAW WAS REAL AND NOT A FIGMENT OF MY IMAGINATION; AND HAS NOT BEED DISCOVERED NOR CONCEPTUALIZED
    THAT CAN HAPPEN,

THEN... I'D LIKE TO QUICKLY RELAY THIS TO ALL -> NOVICES, EXPERTS and
    ATTRIBUTORS (EVEN WITHOUT THE PHOTOS YET) ...

- Have you all seen or encountered multiple "S" (for SFO) MINTS across the
    OBVERSE BACKGROUND; AND/OR MIXED WITH THE DESIGN ELEMENTS?
    Just realized that they easily caused confusion to my identifications and
    determination of suspected error images as to whether a DDO, MDD, or
    actaul part of the design, or other errror types?
    Could easily throw anybody off-course and lead to mis-identification or
    mis-attribution.

Trying to fix camera as Im sending this thread...J

No idea what you are talking about...interested in seeing a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldfinger View Post
      No idea what you are talking about...interested in seeing a picture.
      Camera still not working...

- Here's the idea from a layman's (novice like me) language (NOTE MY
      following INSPECTION SCENARIO is just an "EXAMPLE and NOT" the actual
      error coin nor the photos I have taken which I still can't reproduce)....

=== THOUGHT I SAW A "DDO OF 8" IN MY 1958 COIN, BUT IT WAS
      ACTUALLY AN "S" MINT BETWEEN THE 5 & 8 IN 1958.===

Camera still down...J

Comment

Originally posted by Novicetoerr View Post

- Have you all seen or encountered multiple "S" (for SFO) MINTS across the
        OBVERSE BACKGROUND; AND/OR MIXED WITH THE DESIGN ELEMENTS?
        Just realized that they easily caused confusion to my identifications and
        determination of suspected error images as to whether a DDO, MDD, or
        actaul part of the design, or other errror types?
        Could easily throw anybody off-course and lead to mis-identification or
        mis-attribution.
        No such variety has ever been reported. I strongly suspect you're the victim of an overactive imagination and that you're seeing letters in random patterns of die flow lines or other subtle imperfections in the die face.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

VERY IMPORTANT!!! Could be the "PINNACLE" of 1c MINT

I'm back...

Have partially fixed my camera software "bug" and was able to retrieve a few pictures. (Still trying to pull out the others I took yesterday. I can't take pictures at the moment.)

Let me know if you see what I am seeing. Note the area is partially stripped off of Cu plating. (The other photos I'm trying to retrieve are outside of the
          unplated area.)

J
          Attached Files

Comment

Your coin is discolored and slightly corroded. There are no accessory mintmarks there. Again, you're constructing letters out of random patterns of discoloration, corrosion, and possibly subtle irregularities in the die.

Comment

Do you see a D over D over D over S?

Others, what do you see?

J

Comment

It's hard to say, the coin is so corroded. But it seems to look like there is something there...what it is I don't know.

Comment

By 1990 the Mint was no longer punching the mintmark into each individual working die. So a repunched mintmark is out of the question.

Comment

Thanks both. (Still can't retrieve/fix my camera.)

There is really no active corrosion. There is something in the coin color that made the reflection to the LED lighted camera seemed very worse.
                    The unplated area looks like mechanically peeled-off due to compressive stress (uneven and sharp-edged), and then soiled and lightly corroded thru the years.

1990, being the first year when the mint was included in the master die made
                    it more suspect for me for anomalies. But need to work on to prove. (Back
                    to my camera customer support center.)

J

Comment

VERY IMPORTANT!!! Could be the "PINNACLE" of 1c MINT

Additional hilites to my existing photos that drove my conclusion of potential multi-MMs. (Still fixing camera.)
                      Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Mike on this one. First of all, the process would seem to eliminate the fact that it would be an S mintmark. The condition of the coin also prohibits accurate analysis. The S mintmark you show is not the type used for the Proof mint sets where the only S mint marked cents were struck. (I know you put it there as an example only). Sometimes we tend to want to see things rather than objectively looking at everything that encompasses the making of a coin. Should a finer example of this coin be found, it would most likely prove that what you are seeing is not really there. As Mike said, you might be seeing anything from gouges, scratches, gas bubbles etc.
                        Bob Piazza
                        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Working...
                        X