Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 Lincoln cent struck on a split planchet???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Lincoln cent struck on a split planchet???

At first glance, the coin appeared interesting, for through a lope it was hard to tell what was going on.

The crack or split did not appear to be tool made and the coin itself did not appear to be out of round.

However, inconsistencies began to show that this split did not happen before the strike.

Under magnification, you can see tool marks that run into the STA of STATES. These marks would have been obliterated by the strike. Also, the hole on the P shows up partially in the crevice itself.

If this were not enough, columns # 9, 10, 11 and 12 show a ramped sloop down to the crack, again, something that I do not think would have occurred.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this "error"?

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Just a thought BJ,
    The first photo of the obverse shows damage to the rim near IN GOD WE as if it had been clamped in between something as well as the area below the split near the date.
    My thoughts are that the metal has been bent back and forth causing the split to move across the coin and making stress marks to the metal that appear to be tool marks as well as flattening some portions of the metal moreso near the beginning of the split.

Then again I am just guessing here. Maybe a test of that theory????????

Steven

Comment

It's a genuine planchet error, something I occasionally refer to as a "ragged fissure". During rolling, the coin metal strip splits from tensile forces. The two facing beveled edges are typical of such fissures. The microscopic surface texture of the beveled edges is usually grainy in such errors. It results from the pulling-apart and fracturing of the metal crystallites. I don't think it likely that you're seeing tool marks; perhaps these are lines of stress.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

I agree with Mike, Not that he needs my agreement:-) but when you look at the reverse of the coin, you can see a weakness at the rim where the separation is that indicates that the coin was struck after the fissure occured.

Comment

I thank you all for your valued comments. The owner of the coin had some doublts, as I did, concerning its authenticity. I'll give him the happy news.

BJ Neff

Comment

This is very cool. I had never seen one that severe before. Very nice!

=BOB=
            Bob Piazza
            Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

1982 struck on split planchet

WOWSER'S this is a great coin, my mouth is watering from looking at that coin, I have not been that lucky to have found a coin like that. Did you get that from a BU roll?. Or from a circulated roll?. Keep up the great hunting.

Patrick

Comment

Hi Patrick - The owner found it in a mint bag of 1982.

BJ

Comment

Working...
                X