Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice 2005 P MN 25c Double Earlobe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice 2005 P MN 25c Double Earlobe

Here is a recent find from a batch of cirulated quarter bank rolls. I've managed to find 3 or 4 different 25c DDOs in the past few years, but this one is the best one I've found in the state quarters to date. This 2005 P MN quarter has seen some tough times, but the double earlobe is bold and it just jumped right out at me when I saw it.

The current issue of Coin World has an article on 'Double Earlobe DDOs' found in the state quarter series. Wexler has 14 listings so far, and I don't know if this is one of them or a new one. The double earlobe appears to be a variety that is repeated from year to year and has shown up on several different state quarters. But like the Lincoln Cent double earlobe varieties -- it is not nearly as common as the 100's of DDRs that occured over the same period.

Nice find Ken.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

FOUND THE SAME!

I found the same Doubled Ear variety 2 years ago in change while on leave in Virginia. I think it might be considered die#2? Not 100% sure. I remember Billy Crawford sold one on ebay way back when the DDRs were all being discovered.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I went back and looked at back-issues of Billy's DVN magazine and found it in issue #5. That MN P 25c CDDR-002 does look very much like the one I found, although it is impossible to know for sure without markers to compare to. You found yours in Virginia and so did I. That is probably no coincidence.

I've seen most, if not all of the published 25c double earlobe DDO's and this is among the better ones. I'd have prefered a coin that didn't look like it had been hit by every quarter minted in 2005 -- but beggers can't be choosers. I'm rotating back into searching quarter rolls again lately. Perhaps I'll find a better example.

Comment

California DDR#1

Dont' forget to be on the lookout also for the 2005-P California DDR#1 I discovered. I found it too at the same time in Virginia. Here is the link that Ken Potter did a story on:
          http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/2...DRListings.htm

Comment

I had been checking CA quarters -- near the lower wing tip and tail feathers of the bird. This spot is a high contrast to the field and near the center. After that article on your CA 25c find - I started checking that spot, too. I knew that spot was the very center - but I didn't think that part of the design would be prone to doubling. Shows you what I know. Anyway - that was a very nice find. Congrats!

To date, I've had no luck finding a 2005 CA 25c DDR. I'm sure one will pop up eventually. I'm sure there are many more doubled dies yet to be discovered in State Quarters. There are a lot of DV hunters that focus mainly on the Lincoln cent. Those who search quarters, nickels, dimes, and dollars are much smaller groups. I tend to bounce between nickels, cents, and quarters. In time, perhaps the popularity of searching the State Quarters for die varieties will pick up.

Comment

Ken - In your searches, please remember the trail die. We know they are out there for some have been reported and I do believe that more are around.

BJ Neff
              Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
              X