Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unplated 1995 Lincoln cent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unplated 1995 Lincoln cent

I found this in a plastic wrapped Brink's roll. I am fairly confident that this is the real thing and not one that has had the copper stripped by chemical means.

I have always been unsure how these unplated planchets escape detection by the inspectors and end up becoming coins.

BJ Neff
    Last edited by wavysteps; 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM.
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

It looks pretty good. You need to weigh it, though. It should weigh a few hundredths of a gram under the standard 2.5g. You also need to inspect it under a micrscope. It should be free of tiny bumps.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Hi Mike - Looking for the telltale bumps, streaks was one of the first things that I did and I do have some examples which I think that I'll add to the post to show the difference. This 1995 Lincoln cent was void of bumps.

BJ Neff

Comment

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the bumps that Mike refered to, here is a picture of a chemically stripped 1995 Lincoln cent. The bumps are indicated by arrows.

BJ Neff
        Last edited by wavysteps; 10-11-2007, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Here are a coupla thoughts. The "streaks" can sometimes be seen even when the plating is not tampered with. I have seen numerous examples where a normal, plated coin has those streaks. They could be a result of the streaks being on the die in the first place.

The bumps could also be the result of corrosion beginning long after the copper plating was stripped.

I don't use those as diagnostic tools for these since bumps and streaks can be seen on normal copper-plated zinc cents.

The top coin is suspect to me. If the color is accurate, I see traces of "red" which would be the remnants of copper not removed from the surface of the coin. On a coin in that condition I would expect the surface to be smoother.

Here is a pic of a genuine example. No trace of copper.

Comment

I'd be happy to look over your unplated cent. These are very difficult to authenticate in the best of circumstances.

Comment

Bill - While you may be right concerning the bumps being pits in the die (although it would be questionable if both dies had this abnormality at the same time), the trapped gas bubble, which causes bumps on the copper-zinc Lincoln cent, can not happen in this case; no layer of copper to trap the gas.

As for the appearance of a slight copper coloration on the first 1995 Lincoln cent, this may be caused by a transferal of the softer metal (copper) to the surface of the harder metal (zinc) by rubbing. Even the striking of the coin may impart to some degree of copper to an unplaced planchet.

Just a thought.

BJ Neff

Comment

The streaks could be in the die. I didnt say that the bumps would be in the die. The bumps are probably corrosion after the copper was removed. So the bumps have nothing to do with the dies. Having seen a bunch of the fakes, This one looks like many I've seen that have a trace of copper on them that was not chemically removed.

I've never seen one where a genuine one picked up traces of copper from another coin. If that were a valid theory, i would see copper on many of the nickels in my pocket as the copper would transfer to them by virtue of it being a softer metal. That might be stretching a little:-)

It does need to be looked at in hand, but i suspect a chemistry experiment.

Have Fun,
                Bill

Comment

One other quick thing to add going on the idea that your photo is accurate and I think it is. The shininess of your coin indicates a chemical bath. When a genuine one manages to circulate, the coin becomes a dull gray.

Comment

forget the one about the dull greay I was referencing the wrong picture.

PS: You cant edit a post until it is formally posted or I would have edited the post after I made it:-)

Comment

Bill - I understand. For some reason, the moderators were not getting indications of post to add to the forum. That is now been taken care of.

As far as copper being transfered to other denominational coins, that probably does happen, but not on a noticeable scale. However, a copper cent spends most of its life with other copper cents (that would be an interesting study to see how much time is involved, although to what use), in jars, rolls, bags, etc.

I'll send the first one (1995 Lincoln cent) off to Mike and see what he says.

As far as the bumps, I did mis-interpret what you said. Although, I have seen several severe pitted die on some newer Lincoln cents. I am not to sure of the cause of these pits, however, rust can not be ruled out as a factor.

BJ Neff

Comment

The lumps on the shiny specimen could be die damage, blistered plating beneath a secondary layer of zinc plating added after the fact, or a poor plating job executed outside the Mint. Close examination is a must.

Comment

Mike - I'll send them both.

BJ

Comment

I Thank You! Yes, Mike would be able to tell just what you have.

Comment

Working...
                            X