Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of this nickle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this nickle

Going through a coin collection I had when a kid this nickle caught my eye, I was directed here from a metal detector site, What do think i have here. Thanks Mike
    Attached Files

1 more pic
    Attached Files

Comment

It looks like a deep scratch.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

I thought maybe a scratch, but do ya think it would go that deep on the rim?
        Attached Files

Comment

There's no reason it shouldn't affect the rim in the manner shown.

Comment

What I would like to see, is a close up of the "S" in trust. But yeah it does just look like a scratch
            Jimmy Ehrhart
            previous member of CONECA and C.F.C.C.

Comment

Pic of s

Thanks for the replys, this is about the best i can do fo a close up, do you think if it was scratched there would be a bur left behind, theres no bur.
              Attached Files

Comment

Does it look like it could have been in the coin blank before striking?
                Most fools think they are only ignorant.
                -- Benjamin Franklin

CONECA Member
                N-4556

Comment

I've already offered my opinion, based on the evidence presented in the photo. It's possible a close-up examination would present contrary evidence, but I don't think it's likely.

Comment

Originally posted by rockdude View Post
                    Does it look like it could have been in the coin blank before striking?
                    I couldnt say,im not sure of the process of coin making. If the (in god we trust) is striked last it very well could of been in the blank before striking as the s seems it may have closed the gap up. Thanks Mike

Comment

When you look at the "area of intrest" and you have any raised area on either side then it is most likely a scratch, if both sides are clean with no raised area then it "could" be a struck throught error, however as Mike has stated a close exam by a trained eye may show something else.

Comment

Originally posted by jsellards View Post
                        When you look at the "area of intrest" and you have any raised area on either side then it is most likely a scratch, if both sides are clean with no raised area then it "could" be a struck throught error, however as Mike has stated a close exam by a trained eye may show something else.
                        There is no raised area on either side of the" Area of intrest", and the edge or outer rim the groove is pretty deep, and no raised area or bur there. Thanks everyone for your impute Mike

Comment

Mike
                          It is a scratch just like the others have said. I have found hundreds of coins out metal detecting just like that, some much worse. All parts of the coin are struck at the same time. Again it is just a scratch, although it is fun to imagine that it could be something else.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Digenes View Post
                            Mike
                            It is a scratch just like the others have said. I have found hundreds of coins out metal detecting just like that, some much worse. All parts of the coin are struck at the same time. Again it is just a scratch, although it is fun to imagine that it could be something else.

Dave
                            Just a note the coin was not a metal detector find, its been in my collection for 40 years. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                            X