Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000-P Roosevelt Dime - Extra Fruit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000-P Roosevelt Dime - Extra Fruit?

2000-P Roosevelt Dime - Would the die chip on the reverse left branch, resembling an extra fruit, qualify as such? There are a few small nicks or scrapes on the main limb but I don't believe, from what I can tell, that it is related to the die chip. The chip, I call fruit, is not perfect in shape and has polished as well as dull areas. There is a second flat die chip in the top right of the right branch which I have found is identical to chips I've found on several 1999-P-2005-P Roosevelts. Hopefully the pics will be clear enough for an assessment. Thanks again everyone.
    Attached Files

Hi Searching,

Sorry to say that these are all die chips. They could lead into die cracks then breaks but they are what they are. You will see them on the obverse of the 2006/2007 dimes around the mouth/nose and eyebrow also. Keep searching though!

Lestrrr

Comment

As fugnchill says, a die chip is just a die chip. The fact that some people apply dopey nicknames to die defects is no reason to join the pack. Of course, some of those dopey nicknames elevate a pedestrian bit of die damage to an unwarranted level of value, e.g., the "wounded eagle" Sac dollar. But the public has always been a sucker for these dressed-up pigs.
      Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. So this is a die chip which happened during the minting process, right? Is the Wisconsin Quarter extra leaf a die scratch, crack, chip or what? And what about the speared bison? What determines which mint error is actually worth a second look?

This coin was found in pocket change. Although it might not have monetary value as the aforementioned, to me it is still an interesting occurance that is not the normal die chip, considering its placement and shape. Are there any known die chips which have increased the value of a coin? Does the speared Bison fall into that category? Thanks again to everyone for your input.

Comment

A die chip develops after a die has begun striking coins. It is a form of brittle fracture.

The Wisconsin "extra leaf" quarters are examples of die dents. It's still not clear whether they're accidental or intentional.

The Speared Bison defect is also apparently a die dent.

Value is determined by whether a nickname is accepted by a grading service, how hyped it is by dealers, and how common it is. Paradoxically, the more common it is, the higher its potential value. That's because people have a chance of finding one or buying one in a reasonable amount of time. Very rare die dents -- even strong ones -- are not worth much because there are too few specimens to generate a frenzy. That's why the 2004-D "double ear" dime hasn't generated the interest that the extra leaf quarters have. There are nameless die dents that are as strong as the named ones but are worth only a few dollars.

I've never heard of a die chip carrying much value, regardless of where it's situated.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks Mike, for your indepth description. I've always wondered how some coins excel in notariety while others do not. It obviously isn't related to supply and demand in this case. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X