Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jefferson Variety Collectors check in here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jefferson Variety Collectors check in here

Let's see how many are out there.

I've started collecting Jefferson Varieties early this year. I'm finding that I enjoy this part of collecting just as much, if not more, than collecting set of things such as Wheat Cents, etc.
    Right now I've been trying to get some nice errors and have gotten some great deals off the internet. I just got in a nice centered broadstruck nickel! I'll try posting some photos here when I get a chance.
    ---Speedy

Comment

I have a couple hundred various die varieties in Jefferson nickels I've picked up over the years, but nothing special. Mostly war nickel RPMs and proof doubled dies.

Comment

I have found precious few MS war nickel RPMs of late. Is it just me or have others noticed this too?

Thanks,

James Wile
        CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

Last year my dad bought a OBW roll of 1943-D nickels. I haven't looked through them all yet but of the few I have so far I haven't found any RPM's. Maybe in the last few coins I'll be lucky and find a winner! (I sent some to NGC and one came back MS67 6FS!)
          ---Speedy

Comment

Congratulations on your find. 6FS on the 43-D is fairly common, but the MS67 is tough no matter what the date.
            CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years and have just now dug out the closet and am trying to see where I left off with the collection, one big part of which is Jeff varieties and full steps.
              From the little I can tell in the last week it doesn't appear that the Full Step Nickel Club is arouind anymore or anything like the PINC sheet. Is this accurate?
              If so, is there a current equivalent source of detail information now? Who are some of the leaders in the field if the Sisti's are no longer involved? (the only things I could find on them was concerning community based farming.)
              What is the best source now for populations, values, etc. on varieties beyond the popular ones found in the common guides like Coin World?
              Thanks, I appreciate any data that anyone can give, so I can get my feet back under me and start enjoying this pastime again.

Ron Naumann

Comment

It seems to me that it is so hard to keep a price guide updated that there really isn't one just for nickels anymore. I would suggest useing Heritage's online auction for that kind of research. Their prices are much more on target than a price guide and you can also see what they have been selling for through the last few years.
                Populations reports you can get from NGC free...or pay for the use of PCGC's.
                ---Speedy

Comment

Originally posted by RNaumann View Post
                  and .
                  From the little I can tell in the last week it doesn't appear that the Full Step Nickel Club is arouind anymore or anything like the PINC sheet. Is this accurate?
                  The Full Step Nickel Club is still alive and well, They just don't have a web site anymore.
                  ED

Comment

Hey Ed,
                    Do you know who the contact person would be? I would be more than happy to give them website space.
                    ---Speedy

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy View Post
                      Hey Ed,
                      Do you know who the contact person would be? I would be more than happy to give them website space.
                      Just sent you a PM
                      ED

Comment

I collected maybe 100+ RPM's, OMM's and Doubled Dies over the years but really started focusing in on variety collecting the last 5 years or so. Although they are getting harder to find there are still plenty out there to be cherried. Every show I go to I have no problem finding enough to deplete my budget for that show.

Comment

Well the other day a collector I know told me that he was selling off a collection for a friend. In the collection was a few OBW rolls of 1964-D Nickels....while they had never been looked through my friend had opened it alittle to make sure that they were BU all the way through. Well I got them today! I'm pretty busy so I have only pulled 2 out of the roll and already found a nice RPM! I'm pretty sure it is RPM-002 in Mr Wiles book. I hope the rest of this roll and the next will be as nice as this one!!!
                          ---Speedy

Comment

Working...
                          X