Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this separation of the serifs ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this separation of the serifs ???

Helping collectors find Coin Shows since 2008

If I knew what the coin was and also the date, I might be able tio give you an answer.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Originally posted by wavysteps View Post
      If I knew what the coin was and also the date, I might be able tio give you an answer.

BJ Neff

Now I'm confused, how would knowing the date & denomination determine if there is separation of the serifs?

Comment

There are three things that this could be

1. A re punched digit, which stopped in the early 20th century.

2. A possible doubled die, with the first hubbing being very light.

3. A die gouge.

Of the three, number 3 seems the more likely, with number 1 a distant possibility and number 2 even a further possibility.

Since your picture does not show a serif, I cannot answer your question any other way. One thing, this is not notching associated with most doubled dies.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thank you wavysteps, I do appreciate your time.

its a 1957 Jefferson Nickel, your are looking at the bottom end of the 5.

How would you tell the differance between a Die Gouge and a Doubled Die?

Comment

Working...
          X