Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009D LMC FY Doublings other than left hand/book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009D LMC FY Doublings other than left hand/book?

Hi all,
    This is related to my earlier posted question (Gen Forum) on this Lincoln series. Have observed doublings in both OBVERSE and REVERSE.
    Unsure if legit or not.

Thanks,
    NVTE
    Attached Files

What you need to do is look on the various sites, and see the areas and types of doubling. That is what you need to concentrate on. This is a new design, so the worse thing you can do is over examine these coins.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thanks again Bob for the quick feedback and guidance.

Have looked at all the listed DDs and this coin seems to be of different
      DD variety with doublings in several designs of the Reverese.

Have attached different exposure B&W photos to highlight some (Left hand, right hand, book pages and spine, spike, log and hammer handle. Of course, your expertise assessment will help.

Thanks,
      NVTE
      Attached Files

Comment

None of the photos show a doubled die. The center photo shows an area prime for doubling, but the marks you point out are surface marks most likely caused by circulation. So far, there have been no Denver minted coins with doubled dies for this series.
        Bob Piazza
        Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Thanks again, Bob.

If the other 2 are not DD images, what Doublings do you assess of them?

Thanks,
          NVTE

Comment

I don't assess any doubling on any of the 3 coins shown. It really does surprise me that as long as members of this forum have tried to guide you along, that you have not grasped what is and isn't true hub doubling yet. You only need to look at the many published photos of true doubled dies (Variety Vista, coppercoins.com, Wexler or Crawford listings) to know what it is you are looking for. The vast majority of all of your finds have been on well circulated coinage. Maybe you should shy away from coins that are beaten up, stained, or well circulated and concentrate on better specimens. There should come a point when these things should pop out at you.
            I will say again what I said about a year ago. Don't look too hard, and don't over analyze or try to imagine things. There are some genuine doubled dies to be found out there. By now, you should know it when you see it.
            Bob Piazza
            Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Bob,
              Thought I'm seeing an offset hub DD instead of the tilted hub DD.
              Have attached photo of adjacent letters.

NVTE
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Novicetoerr View Post
                Bob,
                Thought I'm seeing an offset hub DD instead of the tilted hub DD.
                Have attached photo of adjacent letters.

NVTE
                While I am no expert by any means, the coin in the photo you attached to the thread I've quoted, warrants further examination IMO.

I would suggest sending it to James Wiles for examination.
                Lee Lydston

Comment

This is the same coin in all the attached photos in this thread.

NVTE

Comment

Originally posted by Novicetoerr View Post
                    This is the same coin in all the attached photos in this thread.

NVTE
                    As I said, send it to James Wiles for examination.
                    Lee Lydston

Comment

Will do,
                      NVTE

Comment

Working...
                      X