Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions needed on this 1977-D Kennedy Half Dollar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions needed on this 1977-D Kennedy Half Dollar

I pulled this from a box of 500 and am very curious about this coin. while, it may be a contemporary counterfeit, the fields look vaguely similar to an extremely tired and erroded die (both obverse and reverse).

Now, if it is a counterfeit, its not very well done.

More pictures can be viewed at: http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...sual%201977-D/

Edited to add weight: Weight = 11.3 grams
    Last edited by 19Lyds; 12-18-2009, 04:41 PM.
    Lee Lydston

If the edge shows a normal clad composition, it's unlikely to be a counterfeit. Most counterfeits shows a nickel-colored edge. I suspect the coin was mechanically altered in some fashion outside the Mint.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Here is the reeded edge next on top of an authentic 1972-D:

More reeding:

How could you possible mechanically alter this. Note the points on eagles legs where FG normally would be:

See also the back of Kennedy's head:

Lee Lydston

Comment

It appears to have had an external heat source applied to it; more than likely a small butane blow torch. However, this is just my opinion, although I have seen similar conditions on a Lincoln cent and have confirmed that is what had happened.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

I would expcet this to have turned black and blue.

Do you suppose is was dipped afterwards?
          Lee Lydston

Comment

Dipped or polished.

BJ Neff
            Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Tumbler

It looks like it was cleaned in a tumbler.

Comment

The coin appears to have been etched by soaking it in an acid bath.

Thanks,
                Bill

Comment

Working...
                X