Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presidential Dollar Edge Lettering Anomoly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential Dollar Edge Lettering Anomoly

I wonder what this would be called on the 2009-P Taylor coins?

While one of the points of the STAR is missing (which would qualify it as a Weak Edge Lettering) somehow I don't think it would be considered Weak Edge Lettering. (Actually, it kinda looks like the star point was turned in to the center of the star.)

It definitely looks like (third) die damage but I've never seen anything like this before on these coins. I've seen honked up lettering, weak lettering and no edge lettering but never damaged die lettering.

Thoughts?
    Lee Lydston

I've seen some incuse edge elements impressed by corresponding raised elements on the lettering die that were chipped/broken off. That seems to be what happened here.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

It looks like a die chip on the edge lettering die. Since it is incuse on the coin, the point of the star chipped off the die and your coins are the result.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond View Post
        I've seen some incuse edge elements impressed by corresponding raised elements on the lettering die that were chipped/broken off. That seems to be what happened here.
        Thanks Mike.

I wonder how common this occurance will be in the future?

Funny thing is, even though I'm fully aware that edge lettering appers on classic coins, I've never been aware of any discussion regarding classic edge lettering and the anomolies which certainly occured during the same process so many years ago.

Perhaps someone can share?
        Lee Lydston

Comment

Working...
        X