Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2007 cent with (extra planter, strike through, what)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 cent with (extra planter, strike through, what)?

This 2007 cent has something between column 3 and 4. It is strangely similar to the planter below it but not exactly. It seems to be incomplete. Only showing one side. What is your opinion? See attached photos.

Tuebits
    Attached Files

One question if you will. Is the anomaly indented or raised?

Thank you.
    BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

I originally thought it was raised, however further examination shows it is indented, a gouge.

Thanks.

Tuebits

Comment

The reason that I did ask was that it was part of the answer. I did an overly of the anomaly with the urn and it is a match.

I do believe this to be a possible dropped design element, although only a part of it is seen. This occurs when an indent in the die (in this case the URN) is filled with harden gunk (dirt, grease and other stuff) which then falls out of that indent. It then lands back onto the die. When the next planchet is feed into the striking chamber, this plug of gunk is struck into the coin, leaving an indent on the coin's surface in the shape of design element that it came from.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Despite the matching overlay, I'm still not convinced it's anything more than a scratch. I've never seen a dropped filling leave an outline or part of an outline of a design element.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

After discovering it was indented, I rolled it for return to the bank. I've since retrieved it (had to look through 4 rolls to find it). Is there someone who could evaluate it, that I can send it to?

Tuebits

Comment

If you wish to send it to me, contact me at mdia1@aol.com. I'm pretty sure it's just a scratch. The columns either side of it show quite a few scratches.
              Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Mailed today,

I also sent the silver proof set with the SC Quarter with unusual machine doubling.

Tuebits

Comment

Mr. Diamond reports his evaluation: a Urn shapped scratch.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Tuebits

Comment

Working...
                  X