Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question Regarding The:1992 Lincoln cent, DDO-001, I-O-VIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding The:1992 Lincoln cent, DDO-001, I-O-VIII

was this coin delisted as a DDO?

Thanks

It is currently list in the CONECA files, but I am aware of the controversy surrounding it and will eventually re-evaluate it.
    Thanks,
    James Wiles
    CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer

Comment

OK

Thanks for the reply Mr.Wiles.I have 2 of these if you need to see them.

Comment

What is the controversy with this variety?

Comment

1992 DDO

heres what Coppercoins wrote:

"Significant doubling of the eyelid to the east is seen on this variety. NOTE: After careful re-examination, it is this attributers opinion that this may not be a doubled eye at all, but rather a well placed die-crack/chip. For now, we will leave this posted here for informational and educational purposes."

Comment

This mystery coin was dicussed at length over at the Lincoln Cent Forums:
            http://www.lincolncentresource.net/f...ht=1992+eyelid
            Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
            Lead attributer

Comment

I was the first to examine this coin and it did appear to be an unusual doubled die, if it is a doubled die. I am not convinced that it is die chip either, it is just to symmetrical. What a lot of people do not know is that there appears to be another level behind the anomaly.

Reanalyzing what this possibly could be leaves me with thoughts that this could be the damage left to the die from a struck through a foreign object, such as another piece of a damaged die.

BJ Neff
              Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

...Just a thought from a layman's observation. Again, not from an expert's,
                so I hope to be understood when I make erroneous comments. Effective way for me to learn, too.

Looks like the image in question is symmetrical to the shape of the 'hollow' area just above it (bottom of eyebrow, our eye's squinting area). That area
                is a continuation image of an eyelid when doubled. Could it be a chip that originated there? Or MD movement formed by that 'hollow/incused' area?

Will watch this 'til concluded. Thanks!
                NVTE

Originally posted by wavysteps View Post
                I was the first to examine this coin and it did appear to be an unusual doubled die, if it is a doubled die. I am not convinced that it is die chip either, it is just to symmetrical. What a lot of people do not know is that there appears to be another level behind the anomaly.

Reanalyzing what this possibly could be leaves me with thoughts that this could be the damage left to the die from a struck through a foreign object, such as another piece of a damaged die.

BJ Neff

Comment

Working...
                X