Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! 2010 Silver Proof Quarters with Grooves in the Reeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! 2010 Silver Proof Quarters with Grooves in the Reeding

Can anybody think of what would have caused this?

This occurs on 12 out of 15 of the ATB Quarters in the 3 Silver Proof Sets I received on Thursday.

To me, it looks PMD and would technically render the coin "ungradeable".

I don't know if this also existed on the 2009 Silver Quarters since the 2009 Packaging did not display the edges whereas 2010 does.
    Last edited by 19Lyds; 09-10-2010, 07:18 AM.
    Lee Lydston

My guess would be post-strike damage of some kind. However, Arnie Margolis contends that these ridges are present on the planchet and are generated by a worn groove in the upset mill. I'd have to examine it under a microscope to make any headway. -- Mike Diamond
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

The groove is incused on the reeding Mike and in most cases does not go completely around the circumferance. Kind of tapering off as shown in the second photo.

I would expect that if it were the planchet that the strike from the coller would have closed the gap to a thin line.

PM me your shipping address and I'll forward a set to you. I was going to return these since I don't really think they are gradeable but I also think it is something which requires a response from the US Mint.
      Lee Lydston

Comment

I found your address off the CONECA Page. I'll send these out today.
        Lee Lydston

Comment

It's better to mail things to my home address, as I visit my P.O. box infrequently. Send me your e-mail address. I can be reached at mdia1@aol.com.

Comment

The label has already been printed Mike. I would guess it would arrive no later than Tuesday next week.
            Lee Lydston

Comment

After posting this on the PCGS site, and reading the responses, I decided to look closer with the microscope. I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place.

At any rate, the groove, upon 30x examination, is not machined but does indeed look like the remnants of a groove in the original planchet. I added arrows to indicate the high point on the reed.

In the recesses of the groove, it looks like deformed metal instead of a squared/machined notch.

According to Tom DeLorey, these planchets are procurred from the Perth Mint and the upsetting process at that mint causes a groove to be imbedded in the edge of the planchet which may or may not get struck out of the coin.

I guess this means I won't be mailing this to you Mike.
              Last edited by 19Lyds; 09-10-2010, 01:05 PM.
              Lee Lydston

Comment

Based on your photos I'd say your deduction is correct.

Comment

Working...
                X