Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fcloud & wavysteps 1943S Doubling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fcloud & wavysteps 1943S Doubling?

I appreciated your opinions on the other thread! So if you get a chance take a look at this 1943S?

Would the 4 be considered a shelf doubled (like this descriptive term) or???

Also the secondary S is not full height but the serif would be considered split?

Again the S seems like it may have been flattened or???

Thanks for your opinions!
    Attached Files

The steel cents were notorious for die deterioration doubling and this is a good example of that phenomena. Die deterioration can be slightly distorted in its replication since it is dependent on cold metal flow. Machine doubling however, tends to have less distortion since it is bounced against a design element, creating the appearance of more uniform doubling (which it is not).

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thanks wavysteps!

So the second S as well as the 4 is caused from die deterioration. I always thought that die deterioration occurred around the element not off to a side.

Comment

Die deterioration doubling can surround a letter/number or just affect one side. It's highly variable.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

I concur with BJ and Mike.

Die deterioration can be quite deceptive.

There are cases where a double die can actually resemble die deteriouration. Heck this one even looks like shelf doubling.

Here is my 1941 DDO (top pop and attributed by PCGS).

CONECA Member# N-4679
          President of the Racine Numismatic Society
          www.arsave.com/variety_resource_dimes

Comment

Thanks Guys,

This also had me wondering because I had been comparing the Cherry Pickers Guide on a 1943 D, which he refers to as a repunched Mintmark??????

Comment

Working...
            X