Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 quarter die scrapes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 quarter die scrapes?

I got this in some change a couple years ago, & saved it; & recently saw one similar to mine on ebay for $50! I also came across it in the CPG, but it didn't have much info... anyone have any ideas on the cause of this? & is it worth much or is it now considered to be a minor error?

Thanks in advance, Bob

Yes, these are die scrapes, most likely inflicted by a feeder finger. There doesn't appear to be much demand for this kind of die error. You might be able to get 5 dollars for it.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

yea I thought 50 dollars was a little steep...I think I'll hold onto mine.

thanks for the explanation on the feeder finger damaging the die. I'll have to research a little bit more about where they come into the minting process. I suppose that would explain why I've seen variations of the damage on other coins & why mine has a die crack as well as late stage damage..

Comment

Working...
      X