Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 Reverse Proof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Reverse Proof

Yes I know there is no such thing at least until yesterday when I held in my hand a 2005 Silver Eagle Reverse Proof. I have seen and owned the 2006 3 coin set with the 2006 Reverse Proof in it. This 2005 reverse proof Silver Eagle looks good and the weight is correct. I never heard of the mint doing testing in 2005 for the 2006 and if this is a counterfeit doubt that I will ever see a better one. Any information on this would be helpful. Its just my luck that everyone is at the Fun show this week. Thanks~robert

Are you saying that proof silver eagles were not supposed to carry the date 2005?
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

2005 Reverse Proof

Mike,Yes there were 2005 ASE Proofs. To the best of my knowledge the Reverse Proof was only Produced in 2006. That is except I have seen and held a 2005 Reverse Proof ASE. My question. Could it be real or are copies known.

Comment

I still don't quite understand. Wouldn't a proof 2005 ASE have been struck by proof dies on both faces?

Comment

2005 Reverse Proof

In 2006 A Proof Silver Eagle Eagle coin was struck with the Cameo reversed. The elements were shinny and the background field was Cameo. This was planned and is just the oppisit of normal Proof coins. It has nothing to do with the Obverse and Reverse of the coin but rather the part of the coin that is Cameo(frosted). The Field being frosted and the elements shinny was called a Reverse Proof in 2006. To the best of my knowledge this was the only year that this was produced by the mint. However I have seen a 2005 ASE that looks like the 2006 Reverse Proof.

Comment

Understood. It sounds like you encountered a mule.

Comment

2005 Reverse Proof

The Obverse and Reverse are cameoed the same. Frosted Fields and shinny elements.

Comment

Then that wouldn't be a mule. I don't even know if there's an established term for such a die preparation error. A very interesting report. I don't suppose you snapped a picture of it?

Comment

2005 Reverse Proof

No photos yet. Do you suppose it would fall in the Pattern catagory.

Comment

That would probably be the best way of characterizing it.

Comment

Mike, Please forget everything i have said concerning a 2005 Reverse Proof. It is a non issue. A doctored coin. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Wilharm View Post
                        Mike, Please forget everything i have said concerning a 2005 Reverse Proof. It is a non issue. A doctored coin. Sorry.
                        Yes.
                        After the introduction and popularity of the 2006 Reverse Proof, there was a company, possibly chartered by HSN, that produce a number of Reverse Proof Look alikes. I don't remember exactly who but I do remember the offering.
                        Lee Lydston

Comment

Working...
                        X