Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Appreciate opinions on 3 legged nickel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appreciate opinions on 3 legged nickel

I was looking at a 3 legged nickel to bid on and they also stated that it had a doubled D on the reverse. Because I know the owner of the auction he let be take some pictures. Below are pictures of the D mint mark and to me it appears to just qualify for a double D designation, but I'm open to more astute opinions if possible.

Thanks
    Attached Files

If it is a RPM, then it is very minor. I think that I see an upper split serif, but it could be the lighting angle that is giving me that impression. As to it being on a 1937 three legged buffalo nickel, to my knowledge that particular die does not have a RPM.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Thank you BJ, that was what I had noticed on this. I'm still trying to resolve lighting issues with my new scope. But with a lope it seems to be more obvious, as well as a slight indication on the right side thickness of the D. Funny how that works!

Jim

Comment

Working...
      X