Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clashed 1863 Tokens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clashed 1863 Tokens

First is Broas Pie Baker, 41st street NY
    (NY 630M-6ao) with shattered dies and clash marks on the reverse. Seems to me I have seen examples where the clash on the reverse is clearer; I have also seen examples struck in lead. A neat coin and often available on eBay:

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
    Lead attributer

Second is also from Broas Pie Baker, 41st street NY (NY630M-12ao). This has two reverses paired up where one shows multiple heavy clashes with a previous pairing with the Indian head obverse. I count 2-3 rotated clashes. Some of the clash marks I do not understand - the design is just buried under them. I have seen other examples also for sale on eBay. It is listed as being an 1863 (the reverse pairs here are not the same shattered die as the above example) so I am not sure how the conclusion was made:

Last edited by jcuve; 02-24-2011, 11:36 PM.
    Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
    Lead attributer

Comment

Final example, 1863 C. Doscher, 241 Washington St., NY (NY630V-7a1 & F-630V-7A). This example shows large CUDs on the obverse, slight clash marks of the wreath and a heavy clash mark of the portrait and slight marks from the date:

Last edited by jcuve; 02-24-2011, 11:36 PM.
      Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
      Lead attributer

Comment

Again, very nice Jason. They will be great additions to MADdieclashes.com.

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Here is a complete overlay diagram for the second 1863 with both reverse pairings illustrating each clash: the first (or last to occur) is the current pairing showing a rotated clash of the CO of COUNTRY; second is the deeper clash marks of the Indian head, shown are the H and tip of the headdress strongly rotated; last is the lighter clash of the Indian head and the H and chin are identified, the rotation is less, but this clash was slightly misaligned. These will be added to a new Clashed Token section on Maddieclashes.com.
          This is one amazing example...

Last edited by jcuve; 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM.
          Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
          Lead attributer

Comment

Ha! Ha! Here I thought I had one off a kind. You guys really impress me with your knowledge. Awesome pictures Jason and review of this coin. It makes me appreciate mine more now that I know more about it. Thanks, Charlie
            http://boards.collectors-society.com...t/1341/sig.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X