Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Oklahoma State Quarter EXTRA Feather on bird....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Oklahoma State Quarter EXTRA Feather on bird....

Hello to everyone....

We found a 2008 Oklahoma State Quarter with a extra feather on the wing of the bird. Take a look and let me know what you think. At first to us it looked like a Die Crack, but later realized the whole feather was puffed up showing the entire extra feather. Please take a look and reply....Thanks jmcoinz
    Attached Files
    Collecting is time consuming, but at the end it's worth every penny!

It looks like an example of localized die collapse (incipient retained interior die break) with cracking around the border. I've seen this effect on other state quarters (e.g., New Mexico) and on recent nickels. This can progress to an interior die break.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Thanks Mike ....i didn't call you Mr. Diamond....lol....Bad habit in a good way.
      It's funny you said New Mexico because your right, i also have that as well on the reverse under the name (new Mexico). I like this coin better (Oklahoma) it has more of a complete feather. Thanks again, jmcoinz (Jim)
      Collecting is time consuming, but at the end it's worth every penny!

Comment

Originally posted by jmcoinz View Post
        Thanks Mike ....i didn't call you Mr. Diamond....lol....Bad habit in a good way.
        It's funny you said New Mexico because your right, i also have that as well on the reverse under the name (new Mexico). I like this coin better (Oklahoma) it has more of a complete feather. Thanks again, jmcoinz (Jim)
        A die break is just a die break and nothing else. There is no extra feather on your coin at all . The state quarter dies were the very worst ever for getting big and small size die breaks in them .

Comment

I have the same image on my coin of the extra feather. has this been determined whether or not that this is truly an error?
          thank you
          Erica Lynn

Comment

Mike Diamond is usually spot on with the calls on coins. He basically said its a die break waiting to happen, and they typically do not hold much in the way of value. It's more of a die damage category than an error or variety.
            If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
            Gary Kozera

Comment

Speaking of die breaks...

The Washington bust obverse of all the state quarters has a high stress area at the bottom left of the bust. This causes cracking to start at the point of the bust and propagates to the rim at about 7 o'clock. I have at least two of every state quarter with this 7 o'clock die crack from the bust to the rim. HOWEVER, the US Mint changed the Washington profile to slightly lower the height of the bottom of the bust ( and the left edge point of the bust), on the obverse and that dramatically cut down on the high stress that was causing the die break at the bottom left of the bust, on the 2009 territorial coins.

The Oklahoma state quarter has a number of these die breaks and retained die breaks at the front of either wing, but more so on the bottom wing to varying degrees. I have several where the die break appears on the upper wing, but they are usually not a dramatic as the bottom wing die breaks. This is very similar to the die breaks on the Kisatchie Turkey (at claw and tail feathers) There is another stress area right at the upper wing joining the back of the neck where die chips are found also.

These high stress concentrations are responsible for many repeated die cracks in the same positions on coins. The 90's quarters have a number of die cracks, both obverse and reverse that occur at the same places on the coins. The obverse usually will show die cracks at 12:30 o'clock and at 5 o'clock and the reverses show die cracks at the eagles head (speared eagle), and at 5:30 o'clock and at 8 o'clock through 11 o'clock (which usually shows as a retained cud).

Comment

Working...
              X