Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.G 100 dollar possible error(extra letter)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The indentation on Washington's neck appears to be post-strike damage.

As regards your comments on "plasticization" of the dollar coins, I assume you are speaking of plastic deformation or plastic flow -- something most metals will show on the receiving end of an impact. The soft, pure copper core of these dollars takes an impression easily.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

I realize the indentations are post strike damage. Since this is an extremely common shape and doubled, tripled, quadrupled chained together (I have come across coins with as many as six of the semi-circular dents chained together), I deduce that it is caused by something in the minting process. My guess is that it is ejection fingers markings but I could be wrong since I do not know the exact shape of the fingers. It only occurs on business strike coins and since it appears on coins that are US Mint wrapped uncirculated coins as well as circulated coins, I figure it is NOT PMD.

Yes, most metals will show plastic flow. What you seem to ignore is the two coins that are in question (the coin with the indented letter and the coin that will receive the raised letter in the contact) are both of the same hardness (or softness after annealing) therefore both with experience plastic deformation. Again I will reitterate ONCE MORE that it is impossible to have a raised letter nearly perfectly formed without ANY OTHER RESIDUAL DAMAGE (FLATTENING OR BULGING) SURROUNDING THE RAISED LETTER. This is an EXTREMELY important point in the discussion of how the raised letter occurred and cannot be ignored.
      Last edited by Merlin8971; 06-25-2011, 01:47 AM.

Comment

I will leave you to your wild imaginings. There is no point continuing this discussion as you take a contrarian position to any reasonable explanation that is presented.
        Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Mike it appears to me that Merlin may be a new error collector just getting starting learning about error coins. I remember back in the 1960's when I first got interested in error and variety coins I didn't know anything about them.I had to learn thru what few books were available and contact thru USPS mail with with folks like Mr. Wexler.We didn't have these computers like we do now or at least I sure didn't. I looked at Merlin's photo and it looks like his coin was probably bumped into the reeded edge of another coin. I think that he or maybe she knows this is PMD and they appear to be using this to show what the extra letters on the new dollars may look like if they were pmd or this is what I think Merlin is trying to say.

Folks from different states and different parts of the world think and talk a little different that folks from other places and sometimes words will have a little bit of different meaning.

Comment

You are correct rascal, in that I am a novice coin collector and may be a little light on the technical numismatic verbage (I do know the difference betweena Cud and a Die Chip), but I am by no means unfamiliar with metal, metal processes, physics, manufacturing processes, complicated machinery (as a Mechanical Research and Development Engineer), and I learn very quickly. I am not yur average Subway sandwich maker dabbling in change (there's nothing wrong with that position since many years ago I was a sandwich maker at the tender age of 16).

As of yesterday I have accumulated 736 error coins in every denomination from Indian Head cents to Ike dollars and everything in between since December 2010. Oh I could go on for another twenty mintues....but suffice it to say, I am A LOT further along in the process of coin collecting than 90% of the coin collectors out there after their first nine months collecting. But, as you might have mentioned, I am here to learn everything I can, which I thought was a philosophy of this site.

By the way, wasn't it you who was questioning Mike Diamond's explanation of the errant letter in the previously submitted posts on this thread?

Comment

I am sorry to say....I have not found a reasonable explantion and I am not taking a contrarian view. I am looking for an answer that makes sense and does not defy physics.

Actually, as I think about it, it does not really matter to me, since it is not my coin and I know that what you stated cannot happen. I have already spent far more time on this thread than it is worth. BUT, if you find an article from the US Mint that backs your claim, I will not only read it, I will apologize to you if it proves you correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin8971 View Post
                You are correct rascal, in that I am a novice coin collector and may be a little light on the technical numismatic verbage (I do know the difference betweena Cud and a Die Chip), but I am by no means unfamiliar with metal, metal processes, physics, manufacturing processes, complicated machinery (as a Mechanical Research and Development Engineer), and I learn very quickly. I am not yur average Subway sandwich maker dabbling in change (there's nothing wrong with that position since many years ago I was a sandwich maker at the tender age of 16).

As of yesterday I have accumulated 736 error coins in every denomination from Indian Head cents to Ike dollars and everything in between since December 2010. Oh I could go on for another twenty mintues....but suffice it to say, I am A LOT further along in the process of coin collecting than 90% of the coin collectors out there after their first nine months collecting. But, as you might have mentioned, I am here to learn everything I can, which I thought was a philosophy of this site.

By the way, wasn't it you who was questioning Mike Diamond's explanation of the errant letter in the previously submitted posts on this thread?
                WOW!! Did I say something that offended you ? I'm sorry if I did , I was trying to be your friend and give you some information about error coins. You are the one that earlier said you were a novice collector and you also said you thought your quarter was PMD post mint damage. the part where I said your coin appeared to have been bumped with the reeded edge of another coin is a well known fact that this is what it is. I'm not on here to bother you , Mike or anyone else. I just gave as honest a opinion as I could ...Where did I go wrong? You will learn more about coins as the years go by , then you can better understand what is wrong with them soon as you see it.

Comment

No, You did not Offend

Dayum, I guess my sense of humor makes no cents anymore. I think it is because I spend 16 hours a day playing with my pennies and instead of toning my social skills are staining.

No, you did not offend me in any way. I was trying to clarify that these semi-circular gouges "appear" to be made after the minting process but before the coins actually go out of the mint into circulation. Since the US Mint rolls also have some coins with these gouges, I guessed they occurred inside the mnt. Since they appear to be consistently the same size and shape, with only the number of them chained together being different I thought it might be a mechanical process that caused them. I guess it is quite possible for the reeding to make the gouges as the coins go into the bins.
                  Last edited by Merlin8971; 06-25-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X