Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Multisruck 50 cents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Multisruck 50 cents

Hi, I'm looking for opinions about this coin. I did send it to PCGS, they did not charge me and the only comment was "no decision". The weight is correct but the coins is larger in diameter and thinner than a normal 50 cent piece.
    Thanks to all who comment.
    Attached Files

It's a fake. The curved raised line and faint denticles inside it were impressed by false dies. Why PCGS hedged on it is beyond me.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

So, you're saying the coin is a counterfeit? The last strike of the three strikes was almost centered but must have been without a collar. The curved raised line must have been the first strike because it did not damage any details from the other strikes. The second strike was also almost centered as well.

Comment

The coin is real. The additional strike(s) were delivered by fake dies.

Comment

I am by no means qualified to say it is a fake, but looking at the order and location of the supposed extra strikes doesn't make sense (to me at least). Where did you get the coin?
          Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
          Lead attributer

Comment

The soft blended overlap between the faint, extra design elements and the normal design is characteristic of crude fakes. Also the absence of sharp, but incomplete penetration of first-strike elements through the second-strike elements is also a clear signal of fakery. Thirdly, a genuine strike will not produce a strong, raised impression of the rim gutter of the die in the middle of a coin.

As I said, this is not a tough call.

Comment

Thanks for the additional information Mike!
              Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
              Lead attributer

Comment

Thank you for your opinion. I purchased the coin last year in a collection of errors. Out of 11 submitted to PCGS this was the only one not ok'd. I would like your opinion of the order of the strikes so I can understand what happened, and how it happened. Here's another photo, closer. Wouldn't the field of the offcenter strike mash the detail of the crown if the strike was enough to cause the raised portion of rim and denticles?
                Attached Files

Comment

I've already given you the order of the strikes. The strong, centered strike came first and is the only genuine strike. All others came later and were delivered by fake dies of a relatively soft consistency. I have nothing further to say concerning this specimen.

Comment

Sometimes looking at error coins, being genuine or aftermarket gives me a headache when I try to imaginarily reverse engineer them. This is a good example. I'd like to see others created in a similar manner. Thanks again.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Fake double strikes made with these soft dies pop on eBay every so often.
                      Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
                      Lead attributer

Comment

Multistruck 50 cents.

The coin is now in the hands of my Canadian Error coin Expert buddy for a hands on opinion. I will let you know his opinion and comments.

Comment

Working...
                        X