Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you do it

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you do it

I am very new at this and I have been trying to scan pictures of coins yet they always come out blurry or it doesn't reflect what I am trying to show. I see the pictures on this forum and whould appreciate it greatly if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong. Thank you for any help you can give me

Hi Linda - Talk about replying late to this thread, however, I missed it.

Most of the pictures you see in this forum are accomplished with cameras, either with a high macro setting (10X - 15X) or are photographed through a microscope.

While scanners can give fair pictures, they do not compensate for the light and you end up with what they call "hot spots" (light feedback or glare) which counteracts the clarity of what you are trying to see.

Most of all the pictures that I shoot are with a Cannon camera (8.0 M pixels), using a binocular scope (7.5X to 35X). I also use the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 program for touching up the pictures.

I hope that this answers your question.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Hi Linda,

My finances are very, very low right now so I use an Intel QX3 microscope ($30). It only has 10X, 60X & 200X zoom. The lighting source is adjustable (upper/lower, high/low). I also use a 2x2 cardboard flip with one of the plastic films cut off to hold the coin and tip it up to view strike depth ( I can show pics if needed). Once I go back to work then I'll be getting a tri-nocular microscope to view and photograph coins ($250 - $1000). I also use an old Sony digital camera 2 megapixal and of course the scanner with multiple backgrounds (such as black cloth). I also built a photo box but that's another story. I try to read/research as much as I can before making a purchase and utilize forums like this, You know... exactly what your doing now. Good for you! Have fun.

Lestrrr

Comment

Thanks for asking that question linda.
        would you concider that a good picture?
        I have a coin I have a question about and I would like to get the pictures correct.
        Thank you
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

This thread is almost 14 years old - I would frown on responding to something this old. Please feel free to start your own thread.
          Jason Cuvelier

CONECA
          Lead attributer

Comment

Working...
          X