Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kennedy Half - 1968S DDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennedy Half - 1968S DDR?

Below are a few pictures of a new pickup. It is a 1968-S. In the 'Master listings', the only DDR for 1968-S that has tripling on the stars is DDR-005 but the listing say nothing about the doubling on the lower serifs of the letters. Any ideas?

I would send it to James Wiles and get his opinion-it might be "too minor to list", but maybe not. It's certainly a "double die".

Comment

Tim...If you check the CONECA listings and compare your 68S DDR with all the listed RDV-002’s I think you will see that none of them match. The 68S DDR-005 comes close, but the star notching pattern doesn’t match yours, note the point on the stars in the photos in James Wiles book at 3:00. I do have a 68S DDR that I had sent to James Wiles in March of 2010 that seems to match your photos...it came back “too minor”, see attached photo.

Maybe JonPSullivan is right...you should send it in.

Larry Nienaber
      Attached Files

Comment

Larry,

Here are a few larger pictures with different lighting. I think it might be the same one you submitted earlier that was declared "too minor to list". The lower left hand side of letters in AMERICA, do they have splits like the F in OF?

Tim

Comment

Yes they do...see attached photo.
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't understand how this would be "Too Minor to List"?
            Lee Lydston

Comment

The coin is on it's way to Dr. Wiles for him to give it the "once over", along with nineteen of it's brothers

I will post the results when I hear something.

Comment

Received the coin back in today’s mail from Dr. Wiles: “Too minor to list”

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Received the coin back in today’s mail from Dr. Wiles: “Too minor to list”
                  I wish all coin attributers was like dr Wiles and stop calling everything a doubled die. these lesser types of doubled dies destroys the price of the better doubled die coins. just like the doubled die Minnesota state quarters , there are about four or five really awesome types of them and over a hundred different types called a extra tree doubled die that are nothing more than a tiny speck on the coins and can not be identified as a doubled die but they did so anyway. all of this extra junk the attributers listed as extra tree doubled die has made the Minnesota coins very confusing too collectors.

the coins with doubling so minor it takes a microscope to see would never be worth much anyway in my opinion , so why list them.

Comment

Originally posted by rascal View Post
                    I wish all coin attributers was like dr Wiles and stop calling everything a doubled die. these lesser types of doubled dies destroys the price of the better doubled die coins. just like the doubled die Minnesota state quarters , there are about four or five really awesome types of them and over a hundred different types called a extra tree doubled die that are nothing more than a tiny speck on the coins and can not be identified as a doubled die but they did so anyway. all of this extra junk the attributers listed as extra tree doubled die has made the Minnesota coins very confusing too collectors.

the coins with doubling so minor it takes a microscope to see would never be worth much anyway in my opinion , so why list them.
                    This thread has nothing to do with State quarters and if you don't like them then don't collect them.

As far as your comments Rascal, I have seen Dr. Wiles list coins with smaller spreads and not list others with stronger spreads, so your point is mute.

Each attributor has their own set of standards and currently there is no appeal process or review procedure set up by CONECA. But make no mistake, CONECA is still the best horse in town and has the most credibility going for it.

Personally, I refuse to buy a coin with a Wexler number unless it is cross referenced to a CONECA number.

Comment

Working...
                    X