Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1972 mint error silver US cent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 mint error silver US cent?

Hello

I confess I am not an active coin collector, but I have hanging on to odd coins over the years, including this apparently silver penny. Some have told me that a silver penny is not possible and that it is lilkely a science experiment, but my husband says that it is at least conceivable that it could be a mint error on a foreign silver coin blank.

Researching the web a bit, I see that the US was minting foreign coins in 1972. The coin does not have the oily/slippery feel of mercury, and, it rings like other silver coins when dropped gently, not like a copper penny. I also note that the front at least does not appear to be quite centered on the blank, another possible telltale sign as I read; and, the unfortunate scratches near the front top right also appear to show silver throughout their depth. So I am intrigued. I have attached a couple of photos. What do you think?
    Attached Files

Please begin with a weight. Find a grain scale, much more sensitive than a gram scale. Try a jeweler.....

Comment

it weighs... at least mine does...

Ok well I have the exact coin but minted in Detroit its the exact size of a us penny but the weight is off as it weighs 2.9 grams, .10 oz., & 44.8 grains... I think I saw one with the mint as mine on the pcgs website as having phillipine 5 sentavos planchet

Comment

it weighs... at least mine does...

Ok well I have the exact coin but minted in Detroit its the exact size of a us penny but the weight is off as it weighs 2.9 grams, .10 oz., & 44.8 grains... I think I saw one with the mint as mine on the pcgs website as having phillipine 5 sentavos planchet

Comment

any help with this would be great i told u the weight any ideas???

Any help??? Any ideas?? Is it aluminum or nickel

Comment

Originally posted by stephg View Post
            Ok well I have the exact coin but minted in Detroit
            Detroit??? Do you mean Denver?

Any help??? Any ideas?? Is it aluminum or nickel
            A specific gravity test would answer that question.

Comment

Omg... yes I did mean denver mint I absolutely have no idea how or why I would've put that cuz I no without a a doubt there's no mint in detroit & D stands for denveer mint... Wow.. how funny... lmao...
              Anyways as 2 the gravity test pls tell me more that's something I am not familiar with... ty

Comment

Anyways as 2 the gravity test pls tell me more that's something I am not familiar with... ty
                A specific gravity test will tell you the density of your coin as compared to water. Once you know the SG of your coin you can compare that to the known SG of various alloys used in coins. That way you can determine whether your coin is mostly bronze or 90% silver.

The SG is not that difficult to do. Without getting into the details you simply weigh the coin normally and then weigh it suspended in water. (You can Google "specific gravity test" and see various ways to weigh the coin suspended in water.) You then calculate the SG using the following formula:

SG = dry weight / (dry weight - wet weight)

Comment

Working...
                X