Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth while to slab varieties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth while to slab varieties?

1st post, short intro.

I've been pulling silver from change and buying trading from friends and family since my 10th birthday in 1969 when my grandfather gave me a 1959 Franklin and a 1969 Kennedy half and explained the difference in silver content to me. Over the years I've managed to gather up over 100 rolls of bank wrapped dimes and about $200 face value in quarters and halves.

I'm just now starting to go through some of the rolls and looking for errors and collectibles. I've sent some of them off to Mike Ellis for attribution but I'm starting to get a big pile of Roosevelt dimes stacked up and need some advice.

I opened a roll of 1946s's Gem BU's and found, 5ea. FS-502, 2ea. RPM #7's, 7ea. RPM #15's, 1ea. RPM #19 & #9. ALL will go MS 65/66 some with full bands and a few (3 maybe 4) will go MS67 one of them is a FS-502 with full bands. And 1ea. DDO #12.

Also found 2ea. 1951d's FS-501 that should go MS66 with full bands.

Question is are the non FS Coneca RPM's/DDO worth the cost of attribution and Third party grading or should I just throw a listing on the Bay to sell them?

Also, is ANACS the only top tier TPG that will label Coneca RPM/DDO/DDR listings? And have they become a little more/less reputable then they where in the past 5-6 years?

Thanks
    Last edited by 4sdair; 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM.

How'd ya like all those responses?

How'd ya like all those responses you did not get after asking what seems to me, an excellent question.

Anywho, here is my take on this subject. I sent a 1909 VDB MS63 R/B DDO to PCGS to be slabbed. They placed a value on it. I sent a 1983-P strong clashed dies Mint Error MS63 R/B. They did NOT place a value on it.

I asked PCGS about that several days ago. I have not gotten a reply back yet.

To attribute or not attribute, slab or not slab? That tis the question. Personally, if I cannot show the variety in a photo, I wouldn't try to sell it online. If I can show the variety in a photo, why would I bother with any slabbing. Let the next owner slab it.

Then again, if one has a fairly valuable coin, it might command a larger price when verified.

Comment

I personally would not slab the error/variety unless the cost is justified. If confirming the error/variety adds $200+ to the coin from its normal value, then I would most likely get it slabbed. However, for more common RPMs and DDOs/DDRs, I would just keep it in a 2x2 with a note attributing the variety reference number.

Comment

Working...
      X