Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1848 LargeCent Error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1848 LargeCent Error?

Hey guys! So I have an 1848 braided hair large cent and it seems to have an error on the backside... It shows on the "C" and "E" on the word "CENT" that the two letters are attached at the top. Also there is missing line creases on the center right side and also seems to be something wrong between the "S" and "T" on the word "STATE". Can anyone help me to figure this coin out and figure what the value would be? Thanks guys!
    Attached Files
    Treat Others How U Want 2 Be Treated

hey is this post visible? I always try to get envolved with groups but rarely am able to ya know... Not be a "newbie" Anyone able to help me with my many of coin questions?
    Treat Others How U Want 2 Be Treated

Comment

Hello:

Seems this is an empty place. Anyway, my two cents worth... I do see what appears to be a possible die chip between the "C & E" of cents; on the right center, the leaves seem to have what I would call "ghost" doubling (on the left side of leaves) to the right of the "T" in united going up to under the "A" in states (I see this a lot one 1991 & 1992 penny dates.); there does appear to be some sort of similar "ghosting" of the "T & A" of states...additionally I see a doubled serif on the "E" in states (on the bottom left portion of the "E"); there also seems to be a verticle small worm shaped mound between the "E & S" of states.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by Merlin8971; 05-15-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

There is a die chip on the reverse between the C and E.

I believe that you have a clash in the ST of States area but I haven't had time to verify that with an overlay.

Nice looking coin, if I get some time this evening I will grab my Grellman book an try to attribute the coin for you.

Enjoy the forum.
        Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

Working...
        X