Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 Weird Error, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Weird Error, help?

So I bought this penny at my coin club. It is a 1955 poor mans double die being the last "5" of the "1955" is doubled BUT what I found weird about this coin was when I got home and took it out of the cardboard sleeve it was heavier and thicker then a normal penny. Not to mention that when I looked at the outer rim of this coin you can see groove marks around the entire coin as if it were a coin like a dime/quarter etc. I weighed it in grams on my scale and it weighed 3.3 grams. I'm stumped? Can anyone help me out on what this error may be and what type of rarity/value I may be holding? Might this be a penny stamped on a foreign planchet? If anyone has any input i'm all ears! Thanks all!
    Attached Files
    Treat Others How U Want 2 Be Treated

It's only 3 grains heavier than normal and probably pretty close to the +- allowable tolerance. I don't see the slight increase in weight as being significant.
    James Zimmerman
    Coneca N-911
    CONECA PA State Rep/Treasurer

Comment

you may want to have someone take a look at this coin. it may be struck on a foreign planchet. it appears to have had the reeded edge before being struck.

Comment

If a coin was encased and then released it my have marks that you speak of. Without a better picture it's hard to tell.
        Most fools think they are only ignorant.
        -- Benjamin Franklin

CONECA Member
        N-4556

Comment

Working...
        X