Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999-P Delaware Quarter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999-P Delaware Quarter question

Hi, can anyone tell me about the markings on the belly of the horse? The marks are not scratches or indentions, rather raised. I've attached 2 pics for your review. Thanks for your time and input.
    Attached Files

Looks very much like a clash from George's hair. Not sure without an overlay. How about posting a close up in the area of the earlobe of the obverse.

Comment

Here's an overlay I found on another CONECA page. Sure looks like a clash to me.
      Attached Files

Comment

1999 P Delaware obv1.jpg

1999 P Delaware obv2.jpg

1999 P Delaware obv3.jpg

1999 P Delaware obv4.jpg

1999 P Delaware obv5.jpgThese are the best pics I could get, hopefully they will help. I just purchased my first usb microscope 2.0 megapixel camera and I'm finding out its not so easy to capture the pics I want. I'm trying different light sources vs the camera lights, got any tips?

Comment

Hello:

Yes, this is a die clash of George's hair curls. I have more than several of these die clash coins. However, most of mine only have four hair curls, not the six I see in your coin. I suspect that this die clash is from a different die set (from the coins I have) that has clashed.

Similar to the "Spitting Horse" die crack, there are a number of variations of the "Spitting Horse" die crack. Some cracks angle down to "Caesar", some go completely to the rim, thru Caesar, some have die cracks that go up through the horse's head and "Unicorn horn" out the top of the horse's head. I have one example of the "Spitting Horse" where the die crack is more promenant than the others, going thru Caesar and to the rim and has a wonderful "unicorn" horn of good length above the head of the horse.

Other errors found on the Delaware reverse include a dramatic doubling of Caesar Rodney that has two complete Caesar Rodney names, the second is almost completely separate from the primary Caesar Rodney. (This is the big money doubling) There is another doubling of Caesar Rodney where the doubling is much closer (where all doubled letters are overlaying the primary Caesar Rodney). There are also die chips found between the letters of "The First State." I have a Delaware Which has the "Spitting Horse" AND a die clash of George's curls. There is another minor die crack Delaware where the die crack is on the obverse running from George's bust going west and south to about 7 oclock at the rim. There is also a Delaware where the "Delaware, 1776, 1999, and E Pluribus Unum are doubled.

The only one of these errors I do not have is the strongly doubled and separate Caesar Rodney (yep, the big money doubling), but this error is so rare they suspect there are only a few of these coins out there.

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

Comment

Working...
            X