Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1868 Shield Nickle Is this a DV??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1868 Shield Nickle Is this a DV??

A good friend asked me about this 1868 Shield Nickle.
    one coin forum said was a 5.5. I only work one 1/2 Dime Dimes die varieties + seated halves + Morgan dollars. Is there any nickle expert that can help???Here the Photo's

No one right 100% of timesI maybe wrong and will I say, sorry I was wrong

I am an extreme rookie at this so take this with a grain of salt. That being said, it looks like strike doubling (MD) to me. The doubling is on all sides. That is a dead give away, right BJ?

Comment

Jay thank you for your opinion!! I am not saying your wrong just hope Mike Diamond check in and see this+help or Wavy Steps.
      If I am read my early cherrypicker guide right that is one of the marker of one of 4-5 Varieties that are known for this coin/date

Comment

I believe that we are looking at a form of doubling associated in that era. It is called Longacre's doubling and mostly found on the Indian Head cent. Reference this page in error-ref.com for more information.

http://error-ref.com/Longacre_s_Doubling.html

BJ Neff
        Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

It's unlikely to be Longacre doubling. Longacre doubling has never been known to affect central devices like the shield. I'm not sure what kind of doubling this is. I'm confident it's not a doubled die, though.
          Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Originally posted by wavysteps View Post
            I believe that we are looking at a form of doubling associated in that era. It is called Longacre's doubling and mostly found on the Indian Head cent. Reference this page in error-ref.com for more information.

http://error-ref.com/Longacre_s_Doubling.html

BJ Neff
            Wavy/BJ Neff as always you know were to look!!!
            Thank you!!!!
            I will pass it on!

Comment

I also agree that it is not a doubled die. Looking at the 5 digit, it does have all the features of being Longacre's doubling, with doubling seen on three sides. However, with the two theories in place concerning Longacre's doubling, only punched in design elements would have this form of doubling. So, that would effectively leave the shield and large 5 digit out since they were engraved into the galvano that was used for this series of nickel.

I did run across this topic over in Coppercoins;

http://www.coppercoins.com/forum/vie...9b1185d94d4556

So, with all said it is best to leave it at not being a doubled die, but with some form of unknown doubling.

BJ Neff

Comment

Thank everyone for your help!
                I was told to submit for grading with details so as soon as its back We will see what they say.

Comment

If you are having it encapsulated, you may get several different answers to what the doubling is by who you submit the coin to. It will be interesting to see what the call is.

BJ Neff

Comment

I also agree that it is not a doubled die. Looking at the 5 digit, it does have all the features of being Longacre's doubling, with doubling seen on three sides. However, with the two theories in place concerning Longacre's doubling, only punched in design elements would have this form of doubling. So, that would effectively leave the shield and large 5 digit out since they were engraved into the galvano that was used for this series of nickel.

I did run across this topic over in Coppercoins;

http://www.coppercoins.com/forum/vie...9b1185d94d4556

So, with all said it is best to leave it at not being a doubled die, but with some form of unknown doubling.

BJ Neff
                    Me to Wavy!!!
                    I just hope it come with Die # on the details. About 2 year ago I sent 1964 Lmc cent Anacs,and it came back with Detail just DDO but no die # but I think this one is going to Ngv or Pcgs.

Comment

That is the problem with having too many number systems to identify a variety coin. A single variety could have up to 6 different numbers assign to it (CONECA, Crawford, Wexler, Coppercoins, Cherry Picker's guide and Potter). If you do not indicate what number system you want on an encapsulation, it will come back with the generic code of DDO, DDR, RPM, RPD, etc.

That is where an expert in attributions comes into play; they are the ones who can tell you what that number should be.

While PCGS and NGC are more likely to send a variety back with a generic label or no indication of a variety on the label, ICG and ANACS if asked, will put a designating (from the above list) number on the encapsulation, IF THEY AGREE IT IS CORRECT.

BJ Neff

Comment

That is the problem with having too many number systems to identify a variety coin. A single variety could have up to 6 different numbers assign to it (CONECA, Crawford, Wexler, Coppercoins, Cherry Picker's guide and Potter). If you do not indicate what number system you want on an encapsulation, it will come back with the generic code of DDO, DDR, RPM, RPD, etc.

That is where an expert in attributions comes into play; they are the ones who can tell you what that number should be.

While PCGS and NGC are more likely to send a variety back with a generic label or no indication of a variety on the label, ICG and ANACS if asked, will put a designating (from the above list) number on the encapsulation, IF THEY AGREE IT IS CORRECT.

BJ Neff
                        I will make sure he ask for this Wavy!!!! or I will fill in his form so we get a die# and Full details!!

Comment

Here the 1964 I still do not know what the Die# is that Anacs graded about mid 2009
                          Attached Files

Comment

Re: Shield Nicket

For information regarding shield nickels, the best site that I have found is done by Howard Spindel, who has done a monumental amount of research on shield nickels. His web site is shieldnickels.net. Refer to it if you are interested in shield nickels.

Comment

Originally posted by coin detective View Post
                              For information regarding shield nickels, the best site that I have found is done by Howard Spindel, who has done a monumental amount of research on shield nickels. His web site is shieldnickels.net. Refer to it if you are interested in shield nickels.
                              I Google His name but there is about 7-10 site like Facebook + linked etc what one is his displays @ types for 1868 ??? Coin detective?? I would like to pass it long to my buddy who own the nickle?

Comment

Working...
                              X