Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“Cherrypickers’ Guide” Fifth Edition Volume II, with duplicate pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Cherrypickers’ Guide” Fifth Edition Volume II, with duplicate pages

I believe this irony will be appreciated by this form. If not please accept my apology.

I have a “Cherrypickers’ Guide” Fifth Edition Volume II, with a duplicate set of pages 137-168 between pages 328 and 361. The pages which should be there are missing. To cool Aye. Attached are some photos.

Picture 1 shows left page being dollars and the right being quarters.

picture 2 shows the same page with two locations and several pages between them.

I’ve had it awhile, just thought I’d share.

Tuebits
    Attached Files

So you got an error, error guide! Should be worth a couple grand. . Now seriously, as much as those guides cost, I would feel screwed. They are definitely not cheap!

Comment

I would have been ticked if the missing pages were for coins I collect, but they are not. So I’ll be content to have an erred error guide.

Tuebits

Comment

Volume 1

I would like to know why in Volume 1 the Jefferson nickels stop at 1964. Nothing later.

Comment

We can hope the next edition will include some of after 1964.

Tuebits

Comment

Next Edition

I would think that the next edition of BOTH Volume I and volume II would be completely up to date.

I would think such a revered guide like Cherrypickers would be the most complete and up-to-date as possible books on the market.

Seems "The Official Red Book" "A Guide Book Of......" has fifteen or so volumes concentrating on different types of US coins such as "The Guide Book of Franklin & Kennedy Half Dollars" .....BUT.... The Official Red Book" "A Guide Book of.... ....DOES NOT have a volume for DIMES. No dimes book! Did they forget dimes?

I have a collection of more than 25 books at this point on coins. I need them because it is SOOOoooo hard finding information.....even on this site. People here do NOT seem to want to teach anyone about what to look for, what are definitive characteristics of a particular coin variety, error, or unusual coin. Many do not have any problem "decreeing" a particular type such as a machine doubled coin, deteriated die coin or whatever the coin happens to be.....but few want to actually explain in depth or at least refer us to articles already written to explain the coin.

In the more than three years of collecting, studying, and educating myself (nearly 18 hours a day), I have continually run into MANY, MANY so-called experts that seem to be very secretive about information. They only tell others a MINIMUM of information, they do NOT tell others the real worth of a coin (even an approximation of worth).

The 1970-S Lincoln penny is an example. There are at least 4 different doubled die obverse versions of this coin (probably more), one of which is a very valuable coin. The 1970-S doubled die obverse could range from a few dollars up to $30,000.

I sent a 1970-S Lincoln penny into the top grading company in January of this year. I happened to send in severaL other coins along with this 1970-S. For reasons not known it took more than 4 weeks longer to receive the 1970-S back from the grading company and the coin that was returned WAS NOT the coin I sent in. I know it was NOT the same coin because I took photots of the coin AND I have a second "Twin" coin of the 1970-S. The point is that I did not get the same coin back as I sent in. But what recourse do I have.

It seems to me there are a lot of secrets or at least a miminum of information is given. I guess we can't all be experts, but if the "love" of coin collecting is so wonderful, why is it so secretive or at least "so incomplete?"

As in the Cherrypickers Guide, if one is to pubish a book (for sale to the public as an "experts" guide) that contains a large section on Nickels.....it would be up-to-date or as close to up-to-date as possible. Not a book that stops at the 1968-S Jefferson nickel when as of the issue date there are more than forty years of coins not listed.

At least "The Official Red Book ...A Guide Book of Buffalo & Jefferson Nickels" is complete up to the 2006-S Jefferson Nickel, however, that book does not include ANY varieties or errors. SOOooo I have to purchase other books like "Strike It Rich With Pocket Change" to look up varieties and errors.

At this point when I look at coins (I get a minimum of 5 rolls each of pennies, nickels, dimes, and Quarters at the bank each weekday) I have a smartphone, two tablets which have copies of "Strike It Rich..., both Cherrypickers volumes and the Red Book of United States Coins, Photograde and at least three other books at the ready. That is somewhere around 1,000 coins per day minimum. Now after three plus years I have searched and studied nearly ONE MILLION coins (just from the banks).

As one of the people wrote on the die variety forum (Another Washington), paraphrasing....."some day you will have enough experience to recognize doubled dies from deteriated die coins," which is in fact a true statement, but when one comes to a web site that is touting the ability to educate yourself on coins by asking "the experts" and getting minimumal information....it will take a lot longer when a full discussion of characteristics of a coin are NOT available. I will recognize B.J.'s kindness in suggesting articles or site information for me to read on my own. That does help greatly. No doubt I WILL become an expert on my own (it is NOT the first time I have been self-taught on a subject).

When someone states (die scratches on 1934 Lincoln) that my example is in fact NOT an example of die scratches but in reality is an example of "finger finger" damage ""which is completely different from die scratches......but then says NOTHING more about the two types of coins, just baffles the hell out of me. I would think one would want to share their expertise and be willing to discuss it. Apparently not. Or maybe I am just way off base thinking this is an educational, reference site.

Comment

Merlin, this link should help you with the feeder finger question. Also, this site is the best I have came across at explaining all of the errors you can come into contact with. It it an ongoing process, and every single error type doesn't have a link yet, but most have explanations and pics. It also has a great search function.

http://www.error-ref.com/die-scrapes.html

Comment

Thank You

Thank you Jay....that was exactly the information I was looking for.

Comment

Thank you for the compliment concerning error-ref.com. While it may appear that we are not working on this site, we are.

There was a server problem and its inability to handle such a "large" site as this. We are working on moving this site (plus others) onto a new server system that is not only capable of handling large sites, but is also very numismatically friendly.

Hopefully, by years end, all the sites will be transferred and back to normal.

BJ Neff
                  Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

I am not sure if this is the correct to post this but, I think that there is also an error in the 5th addition concerning the Large and Small S Proof MM pictures showing the Type I and type II versions.

On page 227 for the 1979-S, Proof and again in Appendix F on page 459 under the Quarter Dollars.

I could be mistaken but I think the photo's are reversed labeling the Type I as a Type II and visa versa.

As I am Very new to collecting could someone Please let me know if I am incorrect?

Thank you.

Comment

The description following with the pictures indicate you are right also.

Tuebits

Comment

Anyone know when the new edition of Cherrypickers Guide will be coming out?

Comment

No one seems to know. The publisher has no information that I can find, but I will continue to look for you.
                          Bob Piazza
                          Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

I just found this. Am I reading this correctly??

https://expo.whitman.com/news/cherry...s-6th-edition/
                            Attached Files

Comment

That's the only thing I have seen with a date on it. We will see what happens at the Expo.
                              Bob Piazza
                              Lincoln Cent Attributer

Comment

Working...
                              X