Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1889 P Vam-52 Morgan $ w/ obvs dime planchet sized & shaped marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 1845-O is well worn...in hand with good equipment, what i claim can be seen. in post #10, my first post today i explained how i "coined"/came-up with this new error coin term. thanks for taking a look at this thread again Mike, and for the replies.

Comment

it seem apparent/obvious to me, that someone at the Philadelphia mint did place Morgan $ planchet stock into the dime punch and it failed to make a complete punch. the error/mistake was noticed, and this marked stock was put through the bar stock rolling presses again. it did not completely remove the mark/s...it smoothed them/smoothed the cuts over in the same direction as presses rolled it. it seems a similar mistake occurred at the New Orleans mint in 1845, when someone placed 25 cent/quarter $ planchet stock in their dime planchet punch machine. the same process occurred/was use here to touch-up the error/marks on the dime stock. the process smooths the marks/the punch cuts toward the plachet's surface. it does not really remove them. at best, it perhaps closes the gap in spots/sections and perhaps hides some of the cuts. with the 1839 O/O F-104 dime, the re-rolled punch marks were also dime size.

i see 2 types of incomplete punch coins: the re-rolled and non-re-rolled/"the modern type"/an unnoticed or not cared enough about error that did not have it's cut edges smoothed over. the modern type has been accepted by the coin collecting community as the only type/kind of incomplete punch error coin that there is. this is not true.

Google image search for: incomplete punch coin: https://www.google.com/search?q=inco...GQEtMzF-xnaDM:

nearly all of the incomplete punch coins i see in a Google search for these items are the non-re-rolled type. the modern coining/minting process seems designed to only produce this type. from perhaps around 1910 on back through to the 1830's anyway, when the US mints were complete shop operations (foundry thru to minting), they were able to touch-up or fix their mistakes if they found them. both types existed prior to about 1910 (i think the mints started moving away from being foundries around this time). the re-rolled incomplete punch type may be non-existent in the modern coin making/minting age.

[distinguishing characteristics of each type]

re-rolled: smoothed-over cut/punch marks. the cuts are smoothed over in the same direction on both sides of the coin (if the secondary/the weaker side cut marks are still apparent and can be compared). it may be hard to find cut marks on the rim of the coin. smoothed over cut marks may only be easily seen on one side of the coin. the width of the cut gap varies noticeably as it moves across different relief heights on the surface of the coin. the remaining cuts on the coin may be so subtle that they are hard to see or notice without magnification. the cuts go into the coin at an angle now, after having been re-rolled. cuts are no longer mostly vertical/perpendicular to the coin's surface.

non-re-rolled: easy to see without magnification. cuts easily seen on both sides and cuts go to and through the rim. the cuts tend to be clean, deep and vertical/perpendicular to the coin. the cuts are not rolled/folded over. the cuts don't vary much in appearance as they move across relief patterns of either coin side. these incomplete punch marks occur mostly on modern coins and sometimes on coins more than 100 yrs old.

there may be more differences between the two types, but i think this is sufficient for identification purposes at this point.
      Last edited by Ken-Pollock; 01-17-2018, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X