Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1967 LINCOLN WHEAT LAMINATION ERROR?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 LINCOLN WHEAT LAMINATION ERROR?????

Howdy to all from the North Georgia Mountains. A friend of mine, Dr. Nancy W. Kelly (AMA#1208768) recommended CONECA to me. She and I have been trying to identify 5 coins that I have in my collection. These coins have her very puzzled. We both are looking for answers. Hope you all can help. I will post one coin at a time. The first one is a 1967 Lincoln Wheat Cent that has a lamination error. Pictures are attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    SilverFox1888
    Attached Files

This is not a lamination error. This coin was modified outside the mint. It looks like the reverse was hollowed out and a disc of metal inserted.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Dr. Kelly looked at the coin under her microscope. She saw no indication of this being a plug of any kind being inserted into the outer skin. Is there anyone that you would recommend that I could send this coin to for review?
      SilverFox1888

Comment

No way this could be a real error!!
        Still the best "Nickel Trail Die Hunter". 2013 ((MIKEE)) T.Davis

Comment

this looks like the start of a magicians coin and someone stopped finishing it. magicians coins are hollowed out with a lathe then a obverse or a reverse of another coin is inserted into the opening. this way we can have a two headed or two tailed coin to do magic tricks with. sometimes the magicians coins are sold as error coins by those that don't know what they are.

Comment

Working...
          X