Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1949-S DDO#3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949-S DDO#3

Here's a 1949-S Lincoln Cent DDO#3 presented with a couple of techniques.

Unprocessed image using 5x magnification, 25-stack of images:

Unprocessed image using 10x magnification, 36-stack of images:

3D processed 10x image but looking straight on to compare with unprocessed:

3D processed 10x image looking at 45-deg from 9:00:

3D processed 10x image looking at 45-deg from 2:00

I think this technique is useful to help visualize these kind of variety details in a similar way to viewing then with a microscope, at least the way I view them. I'm not so sure the 3D versions of these is all that useful, but some may like them. I find them kind of gimmicky, and while they can be sort of cool they don't offer any more information than the 2-D perspective views above. If you disagree, let me know. It's not too hard to include 3D versions of these.

Ray

Could we see some photos of circulated varieties?

Larry Nienaber

Comment

Originally posted by atrox001 View Post
      Could we see some photos of circulated varieties?

Larry Nienaber
      I don't really do circulated stuff, mostly BU. What are you wanting to see? And why circulated if BU is available?

Comment

I just think it would be interesting to see how a circulated RPM or doubled die would look using your techniques.

Larry Nienaber

Comment

I just think it would be interesting to see how a circulated RPM or doubled die would look using your techniques.

Larry Nienaber
          OK, here is a 1953-S RPM#1 in XF. Straight-on shot, plus two perspectives...Ray

Comment

And here's a 3D representation:

Comment

I am really impressed with your photos...thanks for sharing. I’m wondering how a near dateless Buffalo nickel would look, or the over dates, 17/18 or 16/16 in about good condition, maybe a good way to confirm them.

Larry Nienaber

Comment

I am really impressed with your photos...thanks for sharing. I’m wondering how a near dateless Buffalo nickel would look, or the over dates, 17/18 or 16/16 in about good condition, maybe a good way to confirm them.

Larry Nienaber
                Thanks Larry! I don't know how a well-worn coin would work with this technique. There needs to be some relief to get any 3D effect. There is a slightly different technique that might show low relief more clearly. In fact, now you've got me thinking that this other technique might be a good surface diagnostic tool for shallow relief features...I'll give it a try on a controversial variety and see what it shows...Ray

Comment

Well Ray – You have impressed me your fantastic photography. Do you see this type of photography catching on for demonstration purposes at different coin sites? You are an asset to the coin collecting sector. I am 67 but when I grow up I want to be just like you. Ed

Comment

Originally posted by viaduct View Post
                    Well Ray – You have impressed me your fantastic photography. Do you see this type of photography catching on for demonstration purposes at different coin sites? You are an asset to the coin collecting sector. I am 67 but when I grow up I want to be just like you. Ed
                    Thanks Ed! I am not so sure this type of photography will catch on. It takes specialized equipment and technique to do this, so few folks will take the plunge to make it happen. I actually stumbled across this when testing the software, and had to try several photo techniques before I found one that gave good 3D results.

I do plan to test out the usefulness of the technique in a "Machine Doubling vs Die Doubling" thread at some point. I have already taken some example MD photos, but still need to take the DD photos to compare. If folks enjoy the results of that effort, I will do more...Ray

Comment

Fantastic pictures!!! Thank you for sharing.
                      If you have a question, please ask. Remember, there are no stupid questions.....just stupid people who ask questions.

My Collection.....A Work In Progress

Comment

I'm Impressed

I am amazed and impressed by you technique and the photos show definitively whether a coin is a variety or not. The 45 degree angles show so much detail. Wow!

Comment

I Wonder

Hello Ray:

You may have already explained the equipment and software you are using. Could you let me know where you might have given the details of your 3d photos equipment and software technique?

I have found the info titled 1956-D RPM #4 in 3D. Is there more info about the equipment? microscope? info on using your technique?
                          Last edited by Merlin8971; 11-19-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin8971 View Post
                            Hello Ray:

You may have already explained the equipment and software you are using. Could you let me know where you might have given the details of your 3d photos equipment and software technique?

I have found the info titled 1956-D RPM #4 in 3D. Is there more info about the equipment? microscope? info on using your technique?
                            These were created using a focus stacking technique. The focus stacking software composes a final image using only the in-focus pixels from a sequence of shots taken at different focus planes. It keeps a record of which image planes the pixels came from, thereby creating a "depth map" which is used for 3D rendering. I use Helicon Focus, which "does it all", ie it takes the pictures, stacks them, and does the 3D rendering.

Comment

Working...
                            X