Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 Kennedy halve broadstruck or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 Kennedy halve broadstruck or ?

I have seen a lot of cracked dies in the area of the top of the head on coins. very common in 1954 & 1955 on pennies. Have one on a 1960 penny as well. But this 1983 half dollar is a first. I wonder if anyone else sees this cracked skull on this coin too ?
    The spread on the legend obverse at the L and the I in liberty is as wide as I have ever seen on a coin. I am trying to determine if it is a form of doubling or more the result of a broad strike ? Clearly the coin was struck out of the collar which could account for the wide legend, split rim and struck through effects on the reverse, and if the line across the top third of the head is a cracked die, does this large amount of errors on one coin give it collectability ?
    Attached Files

The coin appear to have been struck with fairly worn dies, so that may account for the slight extra thickness. The die cracks are forming in a weak area of the die and though a bit unusual, they are still minor and do not command an added premium.

As for being struck outside the collar, I believe I can see reeding which would indicate an in collar strike.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

1983 Kennedy half wide verses thick legend obverse

I thank you for your reply. I learn in lots of ways & feed back is by far the most helpful. I myself have never seen letters in the legend this much wider than normal except in a broad struck coin, or perhaps a doubled die. I checked a few and minus the split none come even close to this width. I measured the normal L & I on a half and attached a few photos to perhaps help you see what I was seeing. In my mind a width that is almost double the normal width seems more than slightly... But I know very little.
      Worn dies seem to leave the edges of the letters in a legend edgeless where as these are very clean and crisp.
      I often feel like I am grasping little to none of this when I am so sure I have a broad struck coin or a coin struck out of the collar believing both cause the letters to spread wider, only to learn what I had silently hoped was a possible DD was just worn dies all along.
      Do you have a coin I could see that would give me and example of letters a lot wider than normal ? Thank you really for taking the time to help us who are striving to understand what seems impossible at times....Ron P.S. the line in photo # 5 is where a normal L on a half stops width wise. And while I defer to wisdom I need to be positive you are sure this width is slight ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X