Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Back (after 7 yrs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Back (after 7 yrs)

Well, I managed to find my way back to coneca after all these years. The economy really drained me, even had to move just to find a decent job. All is getting better, and i've started collecting error coins again.

I changed my strategy on obtaining errors, I am now searching my pocket change, it has netted me some decent errors, but I have one i'm gonna hold out on posting a pic for a bit, it's very dramatic (and beautiful).

I'll be in & out of here on a somewhat regular basis.

Welcome back Toolesystems........look forward to hearing from you soon!
    James Zimmerman
    Coneca N-911
    CONECA PA State Rep/Treasurer

Comment

Glade to see you back !
      I too have been away not due to job just got burned out.
      Hunting pocket change and Bu rolls is the best way on your pocket anyway.

:-)
      No one right 100% of timesI maybe wrong and will I say, sorry I was wrong

Comment

Pocket Change?

I am just making an observation but Pocket Change? As a recent coin collector (4 years now) I can hardy keep pocket change in my pocket. I remedied this by going to a bank (actually 5 banks) up to six times a week and purchasing a minimum of 5 rolls of quarters, 5 rolls of dimes, 5 rolls of nickels and usually 10 rolls of pennies. That has become my pocket change. I can usually go this these rolls in about 4 hours. Then I re-roll the coins I am not interested in and take them back to a bank for more rolls.

In the past 4 years I have checked far more than 1 million coins (probably nothing close to the number of coins the experts have examined). Of course I still do check my actual pocket change which only lasts a day in my pocket. I was surprised at first as to how many error coins I ran across in these rolls. I have well over 7000 error coins at this point, many of which are minor errors, but intertesting none-the-less. I have found that quarters tend to have "to the rim die cracks" whereas dime tend to have die clashes much more commonly and nickels with die clashes are extremely rare. These are the little tidbits I have learned that makes the search just a little bit more interesting.

At times with statehood quarters as an example, I would find a number of a certain error (ie Delaware "spitting horse" die cracks) but after reading about a new error discovery in coin magazines I could expect finding that error suddenly became scarce as the collocting public became aware of the specific error, that error would dry up in my searching. I found a number (10 plus) of the 2013 reverse double die penny and when an article came out showing this error, within a month that error became scarce. My point is, get them while they are still relatively unknown for a better chance of multiple coins of the same error.

I also discovered that some errors span across a series of coins. There is a relatively common state quarter die crack that runs from the bottom left of Washingtons bust arcing over to the rim at 7 oclock. In my searching I found this part of the die experiences this same die crack across 1999 to 2008 state quarters. So now I have multiple sets of all fifty states with the same die crack. For some reason this die crack seems to have all but disappeared in the 2009 territories quarters. I am guessing the mint discovered a slight redesign of the bust to somewhat eliminate the stress concentration point at the lower left portion of the bust. It has become a slightly entertaining with examination of these multiple coin die crack errors and the like to see if the mint alters the designs to eliminate these stress points. With some experience in metalurgy it peques my interest to examine such errors.

That is my "two cents worth" to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin8971 View Post
          I am just making an observation but Pocket Change? As a recent coin collector (4 years now) I can hardy keep pocket change in my pocket. I remedied this by going to a bank (actually 5 banks) up to six times a week and purchasing a minimum of 5 rolls of quarters, 5 rolls of dimes, 5 rolls of nickels and usually 10 rolls of pennies. That has become my pocket change. I can usually go this these rolls in about 4 hours. Then I re-roll the coins I am not interested in and take them back to a bank for more rolls.

In the past 4 years I have checked far more than 1 million coins (probably nothing close to the number of coins the experts have examined). Of course I still do check my actual pocket change which only lasts a day in my pocket. I was surprised at first as to how many error coins I ran across in these rolls. I have well over 7000 error coins at this point, many of which are minor errors, but intertesting none-the-less. I have found that quarters tend to have "to the rim die cracks" whereas dime tend to have die clashes much more commonly and nickels with die clashes are extremely rare. These are the little tidbits I have learned that makes the search just a little bit more interesting.

At times with statehood quarters as an example, I would find a number of a certain error (ie Delaware "spitting horse" die cracks) but after reading about a new error discovery in coin magazines I could expect finding that error suddenly became scarce as the collocting public became aware of the specific error, that error would dry up in my searching. I found a number (10 plus) of the 2013 reverse double die penny and when an article came out showing this error, within a month that error became scarce. My point is, get them while they are still relatively unknown for a better chance of multiple coins of the same error.

I also discovered that some errors span across a series of coins. There is a relatively common state quarter die crack that runs from the bottom left of Washingtons bust arcing over to the rim at 7 oclock. In my searching I found this part of the die experiences this same die crack across 1999 to 2008 state quarters. So now I have multiple sets of all fifty states with the same die crack. For some reason this die crack seems to have all but disappeared in the 2009 territories quarters. I am guessing the mint discovered a slight redesign of the bust to somewhat eliminate the stress concentration point at the lower left portion of the bust. It has become a slightly entertaining with examination of these multiple coin die crack errors and the like to see if the mint alters the designs to eliminate these stress points. With some experience in metalurgy it peques my interest to examine such errors.

That is my "two cents worth" to this thread.
          What a great response, thanks Merlin Keep up the search!
          Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

Working...
          X