Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Poster - Long Time Lurker & Member - My Unlisted Discovery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't look like the 2nd "much better perspective" picture is of the same coin. The mintmark looks closer to the "R" in the first pic and closer to the wreath in the second pic. Charlew514, are you sure you uploaded the correct picture for the 2nd image?

Here are the two images in an animated overlay. Not perfect alignment but it appears these are not the same coin.

Last edited by Ray Parkhurst; 03-10-2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Mike - You are absolutely correct!

After checking my many, many photos that I have been taking for eBay as well as posting here, the 2nd photo was of a documented RPMM. I'll take my time & try to get better photos of the first mintmark posted.

Stachowski - I'm trying to picture the cup being cut as a wedge - and where the coin is placed once the cup is ready to use. Is the cup just cut diagonally from bottom to top, creating the wedge? If so, where is the coin situated for the photo?

Looks like I've got a lot to learn about RPMMs, die doubling, and mint errors in general - but I think I've found the right place to start.

I'll add another Washington quarter reverse with a strange strike - it looks like a die gouge, but it appears to be nearly the exact same width & depth of the letters in the motto - between the 'S' & 'T' in states. Sorry about the fuzziness - I need to take my time when imaging these errors!

Comment

Originally posted by charlew514 View Post
        After checking my many, many photos that I have been taking for eBay as well as posting here, the 2nd photo was of a documented RPMM. I'll take my time & try to get better photos of the first mintmark posted.

Stachowski - I'm trying to picture the cup being cut as a wedge - and where the coin is placed once the cup is ready to use. Is the cup just cut diagonally from bottom to top, creating the wedge? If so, where is the coin situated for the photo?

Looks like I've got a lot to learn about RPMMs, die doubling, and mint errors in general - but I think I've found the right place to start.

I'll add another Washington quarter reverse with a strange strike - it looks like a die gouge, but it appears to be nearly the exact same width & depth of the letters in the motto - between the 'S' & 'T' in states. Sorry about the fuzziness - I need to take my time when imaging these errors!
        You did find the right place! Welcome!
        Ken Potter
        CONECA Public Relations
        Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
        Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
        Visit CONECA's Website
        Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

Working...
        X