Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for images of Cuds, Retained Cuds, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for images of Cuds, Retained Cuds, etc

I am not to sure how many of you are aware that there is a new cud site that is being built. It is called www.Cuds-on-coins.com. This was the idea of Fred Weinberg or myself.

We are looking mostly for good images of cuds, retained cuds, large interior die breaks, large retained interior die breaks, split dies, shattered dies, rim to opposite rim die cracks and unusual die cracks, both in U S coins and foreign coins.

I have adopted a policy that you do not have to send the coin down to me for imaging. If you can supply an obverse, reverse and close up of the anomaly, it will work. If you can not supply images, then I will except coins with no attribution fee, but would appreciate return postage.

I can be contacted at errorref@aol.com or cudsoncoins@aol.com.

Thanks people.

BJ Neff
    Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

2007-P

Is this one large enough to qualify as an RIDB?
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice one. I have one listed on the site:

RIDB-1c-1994-02

http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cen...ior-die-break/
      CONECA member

Comment

Cool one Josh! The '69-D & '94, on that page are mine.

Comment

I am diggin that 94 of yours. Very well defined. One of my favorites.
          CONECA member

Comment

Nice one Jay. Can you send me a full image of the obverse and reverse?

BJ Neff

Comment

Update

The 2007 I posted above is now listed as an interior die break. It's IDB-1c-2007-03 here: http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-idb-1959-2008/

Comment

I'd rank it as a die chip, but it doesn't really matter. Everyone can establish their own rubicon.
                Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Jay, It seems like that one would be a RIDB instead of an actual IDB. Yours still show details as opposed to the other die breaks that are for lack of a better term, blobs filling a void.( Like the one above yours on cudsoncoins.) From what I understand an RIDB still shows detail because although the die is in fact broken, the broken piece has yet to fall out. When it does fall out, you get an IDB. I'm not splitting hairs (no pun intended ) by any means, just wondering for my own knowledge.
                  CONECA member

Comment

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong image. I agree with jmangham that this would be more appropriately classified as a retained interior die break. Of course, we must always keep in mind that most of these errors really represent subsurface deformation with surface cracking.
                    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

I thought it was an RIDB too. My less than perfect image may have tripped up BJ.
                      Last edited by jay4202472000; 05-17-2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Heres a 2008 retained interior die break I own .
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Stachowski; 05-17-2015, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I agree, it is a retained interior die break. Sooooooo, it is now RIDB-1c-2007-01.
                          That is what I love about web sites; find an error and change it immediately; try doing that with a hard copy book.

Thanks guys for catching the mistake.

BJ Neff
                          Last edited by wavysteps; 05-19-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

For Stachowski - Actually, it is more of a die crack than a die break. I do see the small retained die chip. However, it is too small to list.

BJ Neff

Comment

Thanks BJ. The image wasn't the best. I think I took the close up when I was still using one of those USB microscopes.

Comment

Working...
                              X