Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CONECA STATE REP PROGRAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONECA STATE REP PROGRAM

We currently have 24 state reps and they are doing a bang up job setting up at various shows, promoting CONECA and signing up new members.

Just a hats off to the gang and a big thank you from CONECA.

CONECA will have a table at the upcoming CHICAGO ANA show in August. If you are a CONECA member and would like to sit at the table and see some neat stuff come by let me know.
    Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

I'll be at the CONECA table on Wednesday and Thursday (as well as at the Awards Banquet on Thursday evening). Stop by, say "Hi", and stay a while.

Comment

CONECA Represented at Utah Show

Beth and I will be manning the CONECA booth at the Salt Lake Coin and Token Show on Friday and Saturday June 19th and 20th, 10 AM until 7 PM both days. Please stop by and say hello. For more information on the show, please visit; http://www.utahcoinshows.com/salt-la...oken-show.html
      George F. Winters
      Utah State Rep
      Member; CONECA, NGC, PCGS, OCC

Comment

George,

Way to go! Do you have everything you need?
        Ken Potter
        CONECA Public Relations
        Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
        Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
        Visit CONECA's Website
        Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

June Show

Jim is going to send about a dozen copies of the Errorscope, but we are out of the rolled coins. Every show we do, we find something that we need to bring with us. We are becoming pretty well prepared.
          George F. Winters
          Utah State Rep

Comment

I'll be representing CONECA at the Toronto Coin Expo this weekend. I still have some nice 1967 Canadian rolled 1-cent coins.

Roger
            "Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Comment

My son and I are gearing up for the Fall 2015 shows.

So far, most of the repeat shows I do have offered a free CONECA table, as long as no sales come from that table.

The tentative plans show us setting up at;

The VNA show in Fredricksburg, VA September 25, 26. 27
              The show in Virginia Beach VA October 10 & 11
              The show in Richmond VA October 16, 17 18

I'll have to ping the CONECA staff for a handful of Errorscope Magazines, and some more rolled coins.
              I hand out a rolled coin to an individual or family if they show modest interest in the CONECA setup. I may lay out one or two of the rolled coins out on the table, but its not an regular process.

What I don't have is CONECA website information in bulk when it comes to CONECA related business cards or even a website address on the backside of the rolled coin 2x2 flip.
              If an approved CONECA business card template could be produced using the free Avery business card software, I'd print out these and use them at the show. I can provide an example if you wish.
              I think that would help produce more hits on the CONECA main webpage.

I've done a handful of shows (4) since becoming a CONECA Representative, and the interest seems to be there.

On average, I would say I have 20-30 people per show come to the tables and want to show their error coins and die varieties.
              I'll do a free attribution of most coins, and try to promote CONECA's attribution services for coins that show promise.

There are probably 50+ that venture past the CONECA table and display case, which I put up small placards to help describe the error or variety of several coins.

Keeping it simple seems to be the way to go, if I try to add some complexity when describing the process who may be a novice they seem to shy away.
              I like to have placards of the RPM process, and of the DDO and DDR.
              Most people will read a one page sheet about these types of coins and usually show some sort of body language acknowledgement about the error or variety.
              Having 20 or so CONECA applications on the table allows people to take one, even for the website references.

I prepaid for the Dr Wiles E-books, and I have popped a few open which lay in the CONECA display case.
              I printed out a single page, and placed a matching RPM on that page. I think it shows completion when using the E-book.

The most common phrase I hear from people is "double stamped" (when people are looking at doubled dies). Depending on the situation, I may interject, or I may not.
              I don't want to make it sound like I am cutting down the parent or friend that is trying their best to explain how the issue may be created.
              So, on the next placard I make, I will add that commonly used phrase "double stamped" and debunk it, providing a bit more details.
              Simple sentences on the placards seems to be the key, I don't use a lot of paragraphs or complex wording, it seems to make more of an impression.

I use microscopes at the show, one which I connect to a 28 inch monitor and allow the potential CONECA member what I see under the scope. A picture is
              worth a thousand words, and it is a lot easier to explain whats going on with a coin that I can reference to. I use these microscopes in my attribution
              of coins I purchase, and the speed of which I attribute coins has increased significantly. Loupes were making my eyeballs hurt, so the microscopes are a neat addition.

Overall, the CONECA Representative program experience has been positive, and show promoters seem to welcome me with open arms. They are quick to send people over who have
              questions about varieties and errors, so the free table aspect is a win-win for CONECA and show - It brings the people with questions about coins to the show for potential other sales and promotes CONECA at the same time.
              Last edited by MintErrors; 06-19-2015, 08:22 AM.
              Gary Kozera

Comment

Gary et al,

I am right behind you with three shows under my belt. Most of the promoters are happy to have an educational display at their show, and I usually plan on two or three cases of errors along with photographs and text. I created a small pop-up banner for my table which does not take up much room but catches the eye of passing attendees. I created a contact type business card with all of my information on the front and a CONECA logo on the back with information and a link to the CONECA website. As all of my booths have been in the no-selling area also, and this method is acceptable to the show promoters. I would be happy to help create graphics for you or any CONECA rep, just give me a call.new-coneca-banner-small.jpg
                Last edited by stonejungle; 06-21-2015, 05:47 PM.
                George F. Winters
                Utah State Rep

Comment

Gary, Roger, and George,

It sounds like you guys have it together! Both doing a great job! Roger, are your elongates of the CONECA logo?
                  Ken Potter
                  CONECA Public Relations
                  Visit CONECA's Website

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

I will be attending the Baltimore show on July 16th and will be sure to take some Coneca marketing material with me for distribution. I wil also be attending the ANA show in Chicago on August 12th -13th and will be happy to "man" the table on Thursday the 13th. Jim Zimmerman - PA State Rep
                    James Zimmerman
                    Coneca N-911
                    CONECA PA State Rep/Treasurer

Comment

I've been trying to take as many photos of the errors and varieties that are brought to the CONECA table. I try posting as many as I can in the Forum area here.

I am sure the staff can think of a creative way to take some of these photos and make an article or area on the website and call it....I dunno.... Errors in the Wild, a collection of errors and varieties that the CONECA state reps have handled at their tables. People break these coins out not only to figure out what they actually are and what they are worth, but some want that little bit of publicity.

If anything it brings people to the forum to read and potentially join the CONECA organization.

I have seen some pretty wild varieties this year - from an 11 cent coin to a quadruple punched peruvian coin. Pretty impressive items !
                      Gary Kozera

Comment

I plan on attending the FUN Show in Tampa this January. Is CONECA going to have a table again this year? I can help at the table on Friday and Saturday. Let me know. Jim Zimmemran
                        James Zimmerman
                        Coneca N-911

Comment

I'm not aware of CONECA having a table there. Nothing has been sent to me or Peter or posting on the CONECA website. However, CONECA members will be there.
                          Ken Potter
                          CONECA Public Relations
                          Visit CONECA's Website

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmy View Post
                            I plan on attending the FUN Show in Tampa this January. Is CONECA going to have a table again this year? I can help at the table on Friday and Saturday. Let me know. Jim Zimmemran
                            I sent this to Mark and he was going to contact you. Right now I am working on getting a table at the Dallas show so if anyone here is going to be there let me know and I will forward your info to our point person in Dallas, A very long time CONECA Life Member.

My goal is to have CONECA tables at most of the major shows across the country and we are gaining on it. The Rep program is rocking and rolling! Getting ready to add 2 more shortly.
                            Proud Member: CONECA, TEC, HVNS, NS, ANA, WIN, WINS, MSNS

Comment

Mark Lighterman responded to me a week or so ago that CONECA will have a table at FUN. I'll look us up when I get there on Friday. Hope to see a lot of members this weekend.
                              James Zimmerman
                              Coneca N-911

Comment

Working...
                              X