Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virginia State Quarter issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia State Quarter issue

Mr. Collins brought by a Virginia State Quarter to the CONECA Table 6 moths ago and I had to scratch my head on the attribution side of the house. I typically can call a coin a doubled die, a variety or machine doubling pretty quickly, but this Virginia State Quarter is one that has multiple issues. It is extremely late, so I am going to post the photos here and let you ponder over what type of error the Virginia State Quarter exhibits;

I have not personally seen a newer single squeeze method doubled die US State Quarter specimen in hand, so this type of coin shows some hope it could be construed as a Virginia State Quarter doubled die. Mr. Collins is going to submit the photos to Coin World and may get an answer back from Mr. Mike Diamond about what type of issue this Virginia quarter has.

Do they still strike proof coins twice, with the single squeeze method ?

Comment

You are confusing two facts. Yes, they do strike proof coins twice. The first strike is when the hammer die descends on the planchet and strikes it. The second strike happens with the hammer die still in place over the now struck coin and is struck by a ram through the in place hammer die. After the second strike, the hammer die lifts off the coin and the proof coin is ejected.

Single squeeze hubbing is used to make the die that strikes the coin.

The images are too blurred to make a definite determination as to what the anomaly is, but I am leaning to machine doubling.

BJ Neff
      Member of: ANA, CCC, CONECA, Fly-in-club, FUN, NLG & T.E.V.E.C.

Comment

Working...
      X