Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black-Eyed Grant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black-Eyed Grant

I have about 40 of theses, its a strike through error . Heres the link to the article http://www.numismaticnews.net/articl...ause-explained
    Attached Files

If it's a struck-through error, I would assume that the coarse, irregular texture is incuse.
    Mike Diamond. Error coin writer and researcher.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond View Post
      If it's a struck-through error, I would assume that the coarse, irregular texture is incuse.
      Some is, and some isn't ( incuse ) Heres a progression of that lead to the images posted (5)
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm not entirely convinced this is a progressive struck-through error. Much of it looks raised to me, suggesting it might be a very unusual form of die deterioration.

Comment

I'm not entirely convinced this is a progressive struck-through error. Much of it looks raised to me, suggesting it might be a very unusual form of die deterioration.
          I have about 40 of them, Ken also has one too . If you want to see the 5 posted, let me know, I can send them your way ..

Comment

All the aberrations are all incuse and migrate slowly over the coins in question. It's without question a strike through series. While die deterioration is rather dynamic, it's not as dynamic as the movement of the debris on this coin suggests. Also, DD would be raised in many areas. That's not the case here. It's best to see the actual coins.
            Ken Potter
            CONECA Public Relations
            Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
            Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
            Visit CONECA's Website
            Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, Ken. It's often difficult to distinguish raised from incuse blemishes from photos alone.

Comment

You are right Mike. If all I saw was the images I would have disagreed with strike through. Thought about you today as I was walking through a gravel field today that had been bull dozed up into a large hill to create a wetland area around it. I picked up a number of fossils but nothing fantastic; just the run of the mill stuff.
                Ken Potter
                CONECA Public Relations
                Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
                Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
                Visit CONECA's Website
                Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

I haven't been fossils hunting since I was a kid, never found anything really interesting, so I took up fishing .. I will never forget the first fish I caught, it was a catfish .. I was fishing with my parents and grand-parents on the lake up north in Michigan where my Aunt & Uncle lived . That fish was so ugly I through down my poll and ran up the hill crying as everyone was laughing at me, except for my grand-mother she was the best ... Yes I still love going fishing too ...
                  Last edited by Stachowski; 06-24-2015, 03:40 AM.

Comment

I have your five specimens. Just as everyone else concluded, this is a progressive struck-thru error.

Comment

I have your five specimens. Just as everyone else concluded, this is a progressive struck-thru error.
                      Thanks Mike, You wouldn't happen to know where I can get them all slab in the same slab, or at least 4 of them in one slab, to show the progression of the struck-thur error ?

Comment

NGC has multi-coin slabs, but I don't know how many dollars one would hold.

Comment

NGC has multi-coin slabs, but I don't know how many dollars one would hold.
                          I'll have to call them Mike, back when I found them I tried PCGS they use to put 4 ( Presidential Dollar Proofs ) in one slab, but they said they stop doing it . Thanks again Mike ..

Comment

I need you to verify your mailing address before I send your coins back. You can PM me with the information.

Comment

I need you to verify your mailing address before I send your coins back. You can PM me with the information.
                              I just sent it, I also sent it yesterday, let me know if you receive it ..

Comment

Working...
                              X