Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1966 Kennedy 50c DDO-017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Kennedy 50c DDO-017

Here is one I had assigned a FS# to and forgot to include in the Cherrypickers' Guide. I had it listed as FS-107; hopefully it goes into the next edition. As an aside, it's interesting to note that the doubling of the lips is of virtually the exact configuration that we see on the recently reported 1964-D "Hot Lips" Doubled Die Obverse dime.
    196650cDDO17-FS-107-a.jpg196650cDDO17-FS-107-b.jpg196650cDDO17-FS-107-c.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by koinpro; 08-11-2015, 10:53 AM.
    Ken Potter
    CONECA Public Relations
    Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
    Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
    Visit CONECA's Website
    Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Ken,

The 1966 SMS DDO-017 has a strong spread on the profile but it is kind of common with not much else going on.

If the Cherrypickers’ Guide wanted to pick up a couple more of the 1966 SMS Kennedy half dollars with “doubling on the profile” then the DDO-016 and the DDO-025 both have more going on (DDO-016 has a spread on IN GOOD WE TRUST and the date, the DDO-025 has a nice rotation on LIBERTY and a spread on the Designer’s Initials, ear, hair on the back of the head, lips, chin, neck and WE TRUST) then the DDO-017 does. Most collectors of the series find that the DDO-016 and DDO-025 are harder to locate and more desirable then the DDO-017.

Currently the CPG has six (6) of CONECA’S Doubled Dies listed for the 1966 SMS Kennedy half dollars, DDO-007, DDO-010, DDO-013, DDO-019 and the DDO-020 along with the LDS DDO-002 which has the Designer’s Initials (FG) abraded away but only has one (1) of CONECA’s Doubled Die Business Strike listed for the year 1966 (DDO-005).

It would be nice if the CPG would consider a few of the Business Strike 1966 Kennedy half dollars for the next book besides just the one they currently have listed, just off the top of my head I could think of the DDO-008, DDO-003 or DDO-031 as being desirable and worthy of inclusion in the next edition.

Don’t take me wrong, the 1966 SMS DDO-017 is a nice variety with an attractive spread on the profile but not much else going on with the coin. In my opinion, there are several other varieties that merit being listed in the CPG before this one.

Just my thoughts on the subject as a collector of the series,

Tim
    Last edited by Tim; 08-15-2015, 01:00 AM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Ken, wasn't the 1964-D hot lips caused from a clash on that dime ?

Comment

Richard, James Wiles feels it was a clash but few others do. His presentation is very unconvincing to me (and from what I hear -- others too) and what I've presented on the CONECA web site in my opinion proves it's not a clash. There is nothing on the reverse die to have created this effect, contrary to what James Wiles states.
        Ken Potter
        CONECA Public Relations
        Visit CONECA's Website

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

Tim, I agree but often what gets in listings is based on what's available. For example, in the last CPG 5/II, few Ikes got in because no coins were forthcoming to photograph, while many Roosevelt dimes and Kennedy half dollars got in because many of those coins were supplied. But as I remember it now, my FS-107 didn't get in because I pulled it at the last moment for the exact reasons you site -- I had enough Kennedy halves included and didn't feel I needed more.
          Ken Potter
          CONECA Public Relations
          Visit CONECA's Website

Comment

Originally posted by koinpro View Post
            Tim, I agree but often what gets in listings is based on what's available. For example, in the last CPG 5/II, few Ikes got in because no coins were forthcoming to photograph, while many Roosevelt dimes and Kennedy half dollars got in because many of those coins were supplied. But as I remember it now, my FS-107 didn't get in because I pulled it at the last moment for the exact reasons you site -- I had enough Kennedy halves included and didn't feel I needed more.
            Ken,

I understand what you are saying, “what gets in listings is based on what’s available.” It is a shame that it is the general rule, to bad more collectors are not willing to help.

I remember with the 5th Edition of the CPG, you asked for some help in getting worthy examples so photographs could be taken for inclusion in the Kennedy half dollar section. Caleb and I networked with a few other collectors and even had to borrow a few of the different varieties from Larry because we didn’t have those at the time. Yes, we could have just sent varieties to you of Kennedy half dollars we already had but that wouldn’t have been fair to other collectors or to future collectors of the series (strength and desirability should be the basic rule for inclusion and not just quick availability).

I have been in contact with Mike Ellis, and we are willing to do the same with the 6th Edition of the CPG.

Let’s be honest about the Eisenhower Dollars, only a few got listed because they are an UGLY coin. Talk about the “unwanted stepchild”, when you look the definition up in the dictionary there is a picture of an IKE dollar. Even James Wiles has been quoted as saying, “the only thing I hate more than attributing Kennedy half dollars is an IKE dollar.” Just kidding, people should collect what they like, I’ve even been known to save an IKE dollar or two in the past (but I have no standards).

The last part of your statement, I don’t understand, how could anybody have enough Kennedy half dollars? Oh, while we are talking about Kennedy half dollars, I’m still waiting to see what treasures are hiding in that box that Wiles sent back to you close to twenty years ago (LOL).

One last thing, you are probably not told often enough but Thank You and the other Board Members for the time and experience you donate to CONECA to make sure it stays operational and affordable.

Sincerely,
            Timothy A. Clough

Comment

Working...
            X