Welcome!

CONECA (pronounced: CŌ´NECA) is a national numismatic organization devoted to the education of error and variety coin collectors. CONECA focuses on many error and variety specialties, including doubled dies, Repunched mintmarks, multiple errors, clips, double strikes, off-metals and off-centers—just to name a few. In addition to its website, CONECA publishes an educational journal, The Errorscope, which is printed and mailed to members bimonthly. CONECA offers a lending library, examination, listing and attribution services; it holds annual meetings at major conventions (referred to as Errorama) around the country.

CONECA was formed through a merger of CONE and NECA in early 1983. To learn more about the fascinating HISTORY OF THE ERROR HOBBY and THE HISTORY OF CONECA, we encourage you to visit us our main site Here

If you're not a member and would like to join see our Membership Application

We thank everybody who has helped make CONECA the great success that it is today!

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1943 Canadian Fifty Cent Piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1943 Canadian Fifty Cent Piece

This coin also has the Near 3 and the Double Die 3 too ..
    Attached Files

NICE ONE IN GOOD SHAPE.

Comment

Originally posted by billyb View Post
      NICE ONE IN GOOD SHAPE.
      Best part, I only paid 25 dollars for it . Heres the site for pricing http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-...ents-1937-1952

and a link to this coin purchase http://www.ebay.com/itm/121587182327...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
      Last edited by Stachowski; 09-08-2015, 01:17 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: New Variety And Number: R444d9

This coin just keeps getting better ..

After some good research and talking to Paul who information on 50 cent pieces, can be found in the Variety section of

Charlton 68th edition ..

This coin will be a new 3/3 variety and its new variety number is: R444d9 .. Heres some new images that got the job

done for the new variety ..

The first two images are of the crown, had to make sure there was no die clashes, or polishing marks to get rid of them ..

The third image is of the date where I was told none have been seen with the lower tip of the " 3 " being doubled and

and the pattern of the die maks (the dot to the 1 and the 1 to the 9) ...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Stachowski; 09-15-2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Congrats Richard ! very nice.

Comment

Looks like I'm going to build a variety set for 1943 ..

I was also sent this sheet from Paul on what variety there are for 1943 ..

1943 Mintage: 3,109,583 Mint-reported Obverse/Reverse Dies: 168/118

For 1943, the ‘4’ and ‘3’ vary in both horizontal and vertical position in respect to each other and to a fixed ‘19’.

The ‘Flat-back 9’ continues.

Starting in 1943, approximately half of the dies were chrome plated to increase die life. The appearance of the coins

changed from having a satiny finish to a more polished appearance for those from the chrome-plated dies. The chrome-

plating in early years had a tendency to peel, leaving a ‘mortar-set’ or shelf on the coins, which can be found on Obverses

and/or Reverses.

1943 was also the first year of extensive Reverse Die refurbishment, with over twenty Reverse dies with date digit doubling

(re-punched or double-punched).

Most coins with a double-punched date digit, also exhibit tool (file) marks, some quite heavy, resulting from clean-up

performed on dies before use.

Reverse Major Die Varieties.

Var Zoell Charlton Date Variety and Description

J444a R3E3H SPA: High 3

J444b R2L1E SPA: Low 3

J444c 4M/47 R0E1E SPA: Narrow Date

J444c1 68/186 F1E0H SPA: Another Narrow Date

J444d 4M/47 68/186 R3E2H SPA: Wide Date

J444d1 F2L3E SPA: Another Wide Date

R444a 4M/47 R2E1H RPD: 3/3 top loop of 3. Later die states

exhibit FL444s.

R444a1 61/371m R2E3H RPD: 3/3 top of top loop of 3

R444a2 68/304m F1E1H RPD: 3/3 top of top loop of 3

R444a3 61/374b R1E0H RPD: 3/3 Similar to R444a2, tip of 3 close to 4

R444a4 R2E1H RPD: 3/3 at top left of 3

R444b 4M/47 68/302t F2L1H RPD: 3/3 inside top loop of 3

R444b1 61/369m R2H1H RPD: 3/3 inside top loop of 3

Heavy Tool-marks (file) evident on die.

R444c 4M/47 68/302m R2E2H RPD: 3/3 inside top and bottom loops of 3. Later

Die states have the Clash Marks filed out.

R444d 4M/47 68/303b R1L1H RPD: 3/3 right of top loop of 3. Later die

states have Clash Marks in crown filed out.

R444d1 68/304t R0E1H RPD: 3/3 right top loop of 3

R444d2 61/373t F2E2H RPD: 3/3 right top loop of 3 – Flat-back 9

R444d3 68/305t F3L2H RPD: 3/3 right top loop of 3

Heavy Tool-marks (file) evident on die.

R444d4 68/305m R2L2H RPD: 3/3 right top loop of 3 Later die states

exhibit F444n/F444o

R444d5 68/302b R2E3H RPD: 3/3 right top loop of 3

Die also exhibits peeled chrome plating.

R444d6 61/374m R1E1H RPD: 3/3 right top loop 3

R444d7 R1E1H RPD: 3/3 right of top loop of 3

Die deterioration of date, but the double

punch image is clean

R444d8 R1E1H RPD: 3/3 right top loop of 3. Die chip on top 3

My ( Richard Stachowski ) new one goes right in here .

R444e 4M/47 68/303m R2E2H RPD: 3/3/3 inside and outside of top loop of 3

R444g F1E1H RPD: 3/3 right of top/bottom loops of 3. Slight

4/4 right of 4. Tool-marks (file) evident.

R444h 68/301 R1L1E RPD: 3/3 inside top / outside bottom loops of 3

R444j 68/303t R2L1H RPD: 3/3 left/right top loop, right bottom loop

R444k R2E2E RPD: 4/4 to top right of 4.

R444m F2E2H RPD: 3/3 right of top loop, left of top left tip

Thats a lot of variety for one year ... Lol ....
            Last edited by Stachowski; 09-16-2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Heres the email I received from Paul on the new variety ..

Re: 1943 3/3/3 Near Date Fifty Cent Piece
              Gloverpl@aol.com
              Add to contacts
              9/14/15
              [Keep this message at the top of your inbox]
              To: coin.star@live.com
              Gloverpl@aol.com
              Hi Rick,

Compared it against ALL my 3/3s and could not come up with a definite match, as such I would have to say it is probably a new find. The things that I can't match are the lowest tip of the 3 which appears to be doubled (none of mine have that) and the pattern of the die maks (the dot to the 1 and the 1 to the 9). I would classify it as a R444d9 if it was in my collection.

Good for you, I will have to keep my eyes open try to find a matching one.

Paul

Comment

Now its starting to take on some history from World War II Era .

I guess its not every day a new variety turn up on a coin from 1943 .

Here the latest email on this coin .

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 11:52:39 -0400
                Subject: R444d9 question
                To: coin.star@live.com

Hi Rick,

Since shipments from the mint to banks in WWII era were about one dies output (around 20,000 coins), it was possible for all the coins from this die to ship to one location. Just wondering what part of the country this coin is from if you can tell me??

Paul

I told him I bought the coin from someone on eBay and their from Quebec ..
                Last edited by Stachowski; 09-16-2015, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I love it Richard! It's not the kill It's the thrill of the chase.Pretty wild that no one in 72 years found that one yet.So again very sweet find.

Comment

I love it Richard! It's not the kill It's the thrill of the chase.Pretty wild that no one in 72 years found that one yet.So again very sweet find.
                    I contacted the seller and ask him some questions about where he purchased the coin .

I also told him the good information I've found out .

He said he might have another one and hes going to send me some images of it and he also said he purchased the coin in

Montreal .

He also said he would try to find out where the seller when he purchased the coin got it from ..

And the hunt goes on ......

Comment

Nice coin Richard. Bring to next show and I'll photograph and put a CONECA (VCR) number on it.
                      Ken Potter
                      CONECA Public Relations
                      Member of: CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NWDCC, CSNS, NLG, IASAC, Fly-In
                      Visit my website: http://koinpro.tripod.com
                      Visit CONECA's Website
                      Unless otherwise noted, images are by Ken Potter and copyright Ken Potter 2015.

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

As of now I'd tentatively list it as VCR#1/RPD#1. Where did you get those photos?
                        Ken Potter
                        CONECA Public Relations
                        Visit CONECA's Website

CONECA Notice: Any individual is encouraged to submit articles, opinions, or any other material beneficial to the numismatic community. Contributions should not be libelous or slanderous; ethics and good taste shall be adhered to. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the official CONECA policy or those of its officers. The act of submitting material shall constitute an expressed warranty by the contributor that the material is original; if not, source and permission must be provided.

Comment

Originally posted by koinpro View Post
                          Nice coin Richard. Bring to next show and I'll photograph and put a CONECA (VCR) number on it.
                          You know I will, wheres the next show ? ANA ?

Comment

Michigan State for me unless somebody asks me to do one sooner.
                            Ken Potter
                            CONECA Public Relations
                            Visit CONECA's Website

Comment

Thats an hour and a half ride for me . Hopefully something comes up closer before the ANA .. We could also just meet and I can get the coin back, at a later time too ...

Comment

Working...
                              X